Wednesday 1 August 2012

C is for...

Cemetery and Cross

During my trip to Normandy in March this year, we visited several cemeteries. The trip had been organised after the (mainly) boys and young men had asked why they were part of the honour's guards on May 4th, which is Remembrance Day in the Netherlands. They certainly found out why: beaches, tanks, planes, guns and many many crosses, all dating from WWII.

The first photo shows the American Cemetery near Omaha Beach. Row upon row of white crosses and an occasional Star of David. Underneath every cross lies one young man who died in pursuit of freedom for everybody, be they 'different' or 'normal'. The second photo shows the German Cemetery near La Cambe. Row upon row of small greyish flat stones. Underneath every stone lie two to three young men who died in pursuit of one big Germany and only one type of 'normal'.

In contrast to the American crosses, the German stones bear both name and age of the people underneath and what was the most shocking was the ages of the soldiers: about the same age as the young men and women on my coach. It certainly hit home for them.

This is the letter C for ABC Wednesday. Why not join?

9 comments:

  1. I didn't even know that German soldier graves exist ! I thought after they lost the war the bodies disappeared somewhere. At least I knew lots of people who never knew where their husband, brother or son died. Anyway I am not a grave fan, I prefer to keep people I loved in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sobering thought all round. And though they all died for their countries, you can't help but think what a waste of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That IS sobering how young they were. War is hell.
    Yet cemeteries are oddly lovely.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shots of the cemeteries. It's so sad how young so many who die in war are. Carver, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are beautiful photos...i love visiting cemeteries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cemetery at Normandy must be a site to behold. What a brutal battle that was. It is such a wonderful thing that they are honored.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband's uncle is buried in Normandy Veteran's Memorial. He fought during WW2. Catching up with ABC.

    C is for...
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    PS.. COMMENTS makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to visit there someday. I do love walking through cemeteries, especially old ones with different headstones.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!