Wednesday 25 August 2021

The garden, part 1

Kitchen yard with tree still in place
One thing that came with this house was a garden. Which had always been tended lovingly by the lady who lived here, but in the end dementia got her down and the garden with it. So, even though you can still see the remnants of a good garden, it is severely overgrown and not what I would like to do with it. 

The tree removed, but still very much overgrown
It needed cutting back. Yes, that would mean taking away the lovely places to live for frogs, snails, slugs and all sorts of other creepy crawlies, but I am planning to give back, so don't worry. The first bit I tackled was the kitchen yard (the bit outside the kitchen, alas no direct access). When I first got the keys, there was a large fir tree there as well, but that had already been removed by the housing association's landscapers. 

You can see the creeper behind the blue (paper) bin
The hedge however is still there. Part laurel and part something other, it is way too wide: about two meters I think. It needs a really good close trim. Close as in close to the ground. I will be cutting it down to about 50 cm from the ground. It will then take about 2 years for it to come back, but then I can keep on top of it much easier. And not let it grow out of proportion. 

The hedge
The first bit was done yesterday. By the time I had removed about one twentieth, the wheelie bin was full. Unless somebody comes with a trailer and a big saw, it will take some time. Never mind. I also removed some dead wood (containing a live froglet) and some creeping plant that even popped up in the shed and will most likely need to be removed for the next ten years.

Any difference?
My plans for the front yard are varied. On the one hand the plan is to keep the hedge and make sure the three wheelie bins I have have enough room, on the other hand the plan is to remove the hedge altogether and make a different entry into that yard. Also put up some large poles, fix wire mash, plant some nice climbers/vines and have enough room for the wheelie bins. That second option is my favourite, it is also more expensive.

The creeper has mostly been removed, but the roots...
And that is just the kitchen yard. The front yard is about five times bigger and although it does not have a hedge, it has the remains of the laurel tree that is already starting to sprout again after being cut down, conifers that are partly dead, a large blackberry bush (the freezer is filling up nicely, prior to making jam), a elderberry tree (will be picked as well and made into jam), a Chinese Rose, a Common Lilac, grass that is way too high and a massive attraction to cats to poop in. A bit of work needed I can tell you!

On the left you can see a tiny bit of hedge cut off.
And I removed the holly.
The plan there would be to remove the conifers and continue the poles/wire mesh/vines and climbers. The Chinese Rose needs trimming, the Common Lilac needs trimming, the grass needs cutting and of course edibles need to be planted. Berry bushes, perhaps an apple or a plum tree. Some of it will and can be done this year, other things will most likely be a long term project. Which is fine. I am not moving any time soon! 

9 comments:

  1. Is that so long that I haven't been here ? I have read that you moved and you had an injured arm, but I couldn't find anything about your move ! You moved into a house ? Oswin is certainly happy ! With garden suggestions I can only tell you keep it easy ! Hedges are hard to cut, people here replaced them by ivy and a fence that's very easy to trim. How is your house are you happy now ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Yeah... as pretty as they can be, hedges really do require such mainenance, but properly removal might take quite some doing... Hmmm decisions decisions!

    So the kitchen plot is in by the front dooer? (And I am guessing in that last part you are actually talking about the back garden and not the front as stated???) ... we need a plan drawn out for us!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..what the heck - I am having trouble with my keyboard - age... misses some letters, doubles others!!!Yxx

      Delete
  3. It looks like you have your work cut out for you. Gardening is good exercise as long as you don't over do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed. You really seem to know what you are doing, or planning to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sad when you see a yard, which the owner previously kept immaculate, get overgrown and full of weeds. Then you know the owner must have become too disabled to care for it any longer. You're doing a nice job getting your garden back to its former beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks really nice. I know you need to work on it but how nice that she did have a nice garden area. Some great exercise for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mara that is a lot of yard work. I say divide it into small projects. Maybe the section near the door you come and go out of first. I know you will make it gorgeous.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!