Friday 13 August 2021

Before and after 3

So, I didn't want any wardrobes in my bedroom. Or I should say: I did not feel there was enough room for wardrobes. The depth of a wardrobe is usually about the double of what a book case would be. Hence my choice. 

See the clearance to the ceiling?
However, I did already have other ideas anyway. Having two large and one small bedroom, I had decided to 'give up' the small bedroom to wardrobes. A trip to online Ikea had me ordering both the book cases and the wardrobes. It was delivered, but only to downstairs. We had to get the lot upstairs. It was very heavy and in the end we unpacked downstairs and took it up one shelf at a time.

This one came with me from Northern Ireland
Whereas the book cases had been fairly straightforward (make lying down, put upright, put in place, add top), the wardrobes were a very different kettle of fish. For starters: my ceilings are not high enough. High enough for the finished product, not enough to put something upright. So, my Dad and I put the things together in standing position. 

Some crates in the back, shoe rack in front
My Dad for some reason is great at reading maps, but give him an Ikea manual and it takes a great deal of time. Fortunately it was not my first rodeo, having made several pieces of furniture in the past (book cases were done a few days later) and we soon got it up. I say soon, it took us the best part of the evening, but up it was.

Door on left, lamp on right. Very little between them.
The second larger wardrobe needed three pairs of hands to put up, but in the end that was done as well. Only problem? The door couldn't close as there was a lamp in the way. *Sigh* The only option was to move the lamp, but that would be for another day.

It's already in double and still not fully filled.
However, I kept thinking about it and later that evening I thought: why not move the wardrobes? Just a few inches might do it. If the doors still don't open/close: fair enough and move the lamp. But, a few inches was just right. There is not a lot of room between the door and the lamp, but they don't touch. 

Uniform hanging on the right, the rest on the left/shelves.
Of course then the filling started. And more filling. And more. And more. And as of today it is still not finished. I don't know where I got all the bathroom and bedroom linen from, but it seemed to duplicate as I was filling. Nearly there though...

7 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Oh the luxury of a whole dressing room, complete with robes and shelves!!! Constructing IKKY items is one of life's great entertainments. You did good, you and dad +1. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed a luxury. Now to extend that luxury to the remaining room: the guest room/office. There it is a tip!

      Delete
  2. Those wardrobes look great. Glad you and your dad were able to get them put together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mara you have tackled a monumental task with such great organizational and decorating skills!! I'm so happy for you.
    Getting you belongings out of storage was like having all new stuff
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lovely dresser you brought with you. I'm glad that moving the wardrobe over a little bit worked in closing it. Looks like your are getting more organized as the days move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are becoming an IKEA expert in building their furniture. You have created lots of storage space. It's going to look great when you've finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find it that hard to put together. I have more trouble with other wannabes, who have very poorly designed work sheets. I can take apart and then put together as well, having done that several times already.

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!