Friday 20 August 2021

The cost of moving continued

Only a few coins in there
I spoke about the financial consequences of my move (basically flat broke right now), and only a few short sentences about the physical and mental state. However, they are not to be overlooked. Or overfelt in this case and yes I know there is no such word, but you know what I mean.

The first thing I noticed was a couple of weeks ago. While sitting on the couch on a morning, my fingers would go completely numb. Then a couple of days later, I felt a tingling sensation in the knuckles of my fingers while driving. Paracetamol helped, but it kept returning. 

I had to go see my gp yesterday anyway (cervical smear which turned out to be pointless as I no longer have a cervix apparently), so decided to add on a visit about this problem with my hands. Result? Carpal Tunnel Syndrome! Great!

He told me there were a couple of ways to go: try splints at night or see a neurologist who would most likely tell me to try using splints at night. Guess which way I went? Yep, option number one. I then had to get the splints from somewhere and there they told me some more as they have experience with that type of thing.

First thing is: use the splints and hope the pain/discomfort will diminish. If not, the next option is the neurologist. Who by then does not need to prescribe splints, but can go straight to cortisone injections. If that too won't help, it will be a case of operating. The lovely guy helping me said I was lucky though: I got myself medical attention quite early on. Some people wait for over a year! 

One for each hand
Anyway, I sleep with splinted braces now. Which keep my wrists from bending while sleeping, giving rest to the carpal tunnels and hopefully make them return to normal. The first night was not the best, but I will get used to them.

On the mental side of things: I phoned my sister yesterday. After a few trials and a lot of errors, we decided that seeing each other might help and the phone call became a video call. An hour later we had several things sorted.

Firstly: our walking trip to England will be moved from May to September, to give me more time to get my finances sorted to actually pay for the trip. Secondly, a short city trip might be possible in May, most likely to London, but other options are available. Thirdly, despite my empty piggies, I will go over to see her (Corona permitting) in October. 

Along the Mourne Coastal route back in 2018
As I said: I am tired in my head and really need some rest. Staying in a cottage close to the sea would be just what the doctor ordered. If I had asked him that is...

12 comments:

  1. N ow that you're moved in, perhaps you have stopped the activities that caused the flare-up. Along with the splints, perhaps you'll recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    It is a well established fact that one of the top five stressors in life is moving home. For you, this was particularly big - for like myself, there will be some coming to terms with it likely being the most long-term of your life. And living alone is a daunting proposition for upkeep and cost.

    I have to wear wrist supports from time to time, so appreciate it is not always comfy, but they do work!

    I do hope that the October trip does work out for you and Gera - too many cancellations already for the pair of you. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the set cost calculation this morning (which includes savings) and I should be okay money wise. As for upkeep: I have done all I can for now and hopefully it will take at least a couple of years for anything to break down. However, I am putting money in a special 'buffer' piggy to meet that problem when it happens.

      When I woke up in the middle of the night, I realised I had taken the supports off while asleep. Yeah, then they work!!

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about that wrist and hand problem. If it's carpal tunnel syndrome, the surgery for it takes only 5 minutes under local anesthetic. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will see how these braces work first of all, then other options can always be called upon.

      Delete
  4. Stress, and all that activity has surely stirred up lots of aches and pains. I, too, wear a brace nightly and when I carry heavy objects. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to wear a regular brace when doing heavy lifting now or when working in the garden. Every little bit helps I think.
      Klem

      Delete
  5. Well I hope you caught it in time and that those splints help. Glad you had a nice conversation with your sister. That would be great if you can see her in October. I wish a doctor could order me a cottage by the sea!!! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the splint helps the hand/writs.Definitely time for some R&R and a rest for mind and body too
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the splints help to rest your wrists until they return to normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When not taking them off while asleep as I did last night! Not sure whether they work yet or not as I have taken some painkillers over the last few days thanks to a headache. But then again, I can't expect it to be over in two days either.

      Delete
  8. We're sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well since your big move. Our paws are crossed that the splints help you feel better.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!