Wednesday 18 August 2021

The cost of moving

From the Netherlands to Norway
Having moved 6 times over the last ten years, I can easily say: it is not cheap. Especially when moving internationally when it is very much not cheap. So, when I lived at my parents and did not really have that many things to spend my money on, I saved up. For a move. That would take at least five years to happen. Until it happened a bit sooner. 

Fortunately I had most of my furniture as I had taken it along with me from Northern Ireland to the Netherlands. It was just in storage. I had plenty of towels and bedding: goodness knows where it all came from. I even had a bed and a spare bed! Although the spare bed was taken to my parents' house to be used over there.

 A new home in Norway
I had saved up plenty for paint and floors and such. Until I realised that the flooring alone would empty out the particular piggy bank and then some. Other piggies were emptied as well. I had all the curtains I needed as well, until they didn't quite fit. Adjustments were made and in the end it left my living room curtainless. Another hit for another piggy. 

In the end, most of the piggies I had were emptied out into the big account. I had kept a tally of all the spending on the new house and it just mounted and mounted. Mind you, as I had most of the stuff in the first place, I am still quite happy with how it has gone, as it could have been a lot worse. 

My massive bedroom in Northern Ireland
But the finances aren't the only thing. My body is tired and responding in kind. A heavy feeling in fingers and hands, knees that feel a bit sore and muscle aches appearing two weeks after any serious carrying and lifting. It will pass. And fortunately the one headache attack I had in the new place was only minor and only a 2 on the badness scale. 

My mind is also tired and responding in kind. Doing mundane tasks like the laundry is actually quite soothing, but the last load is in and from now on it will be the regular laundry instead of also doing the 'sat in a box for 2 1/2 years' laundry. I am slowly getting back to normal though. 

The new place
Whatever normal is...

9 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    Perhaps not normal. Perhaps 'regularity' or 'settled state' would be more appropriate? Because normal, it turns out, is a variable state! And all that expense does fade into the background. As do all the 'birthing pains'!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Settled state would be the best way then. Regularity is out with the job I have.

      Delete
  2. Moving can be exhausting to your pocket book and your body. We hope you can get some rest now that you are mostly settled in the new home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Mara.
    Ummmm I like the last photo such pretty sky and greenery around your home. Maybe it needs to be framed so you can remember it when winter comes
    Hugs and may your muscles feel better soon
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. It gets harder and harder and more and more costly. Out move in '05 was very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time for you to take a rest in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, but with illness and understaffing at work...

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you are almost back to normal. You have definitely moved a lot. Hopefully you will be in this place for many, many years to come. Sorry about all of that laundry!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, I just realized we have 'moved' with you to Norway. First you lived in a shared space then to the little house with water issues. Triathlon training, rowing crew chief and all the fun ice driving. Next came Northern Ireland and time in your sister's home before moving into your own place. New beds along with assembly of some items. There was figuring out all the money transfers, licenses for driving and other challenges. Back to the Netherlands and your folks home. Remodeling of your space upstairs. Covid hit and live changed worldwide. Fiftieth anniversary celebrations for your folks, and the beautiful crochet items from both you and your Mum. Now on to this newest adventure. Looking so forward to your next adventures in your new home with Miss O at your side! Feel better cause there is so much fun ahead for you. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!