Thursday 12 August 2021

Before and after 2

Pre -curtains, -floor and -paint
The first room that was completely ready was the small downstairs loo. After that it took a bit longer. Flooring had to be put in and then I had to move everything else in. After which the proper move began I felt: what to put where?

I painted the lot! Twice!!
Pretty early on I had decided that I would not have wardrobes in my bedroom. The main reason for that was that it is not the biggest of rooms and I do like some moving room besides the bed. But in the end I did put some storage in there anyway: book cases. As I had plenty of books, I needed to put them somewhere and even though this is a three bed place, I was fast running out of room.

Summer duvet is up, but out of the way: too hot.
The bed I slept in at my parents' stayed there, as I have my own bed (the other one was my guest bed). It was my first big buy as an adult (ahem) living on my own and came with wardrobes (perished), chest of drawers (perished), vanity table (still here) and mirror (still here, but not for much longer). 

The colour of the book cases doesn't quite match the bed, but it is close enough for me. I put them together myself in one evening and I think they look pretty good. They looked pretty sad when there wasn't a book in them, but now they quietly sing in the background. I just have to start reading again. 

The vanity table also found a place in my room as it is the only other dark piece of furniture. You can just see it peeping out from behind the bed. Then there is a clothes rail that has to get out, but no room as yet in the guest room/office. A plastic crate and a suitcase will also move in due time. The artwork on the wall is of course my own. Shrewd viewers may recognise two of them as they have been shown on Tuesday's Travels.

8 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    Having the sleeping place sorted is important. It's tiring this new home shifting and sorting lark!!! You mention too hot - is there good airflow in this home to deal with summer? YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is good airflow, however... First: the house is flat roofed: my bedroom is at the top and the warmth gets trapped there. Second: the bedroom is South facing, meaning it gets most of the heat. Third: As the place is South facing, I keep the curtains closed all day for now. Also to keep the buzzies out, who would otherwise circle around my head all night. It's okay though. It is summer after all. Come winter, the bedroom door will be closed during the day and I will need the winter duvet.

      Delete
  2. Looks very good to me. Bedroom are bedrooms IMO and more functional than decorative. I understand that others have a different view. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new home is shaping up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mara, looking homey. I can only imagine how good you feel to be putting down some 'roots' in your own place. Though I am not shrewd, I did recognize the photos! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great feeling. When I first moved in, my Mum helped me put things away, but some things have already been changed, as things pop up that need room as well. It will all get sorted eventually though.
      Klem

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!