Monday 3 May 2021

Feeding time

Low carb fish pie (carrot and turnip mash on top).
From the Hairy Bikers
When the first lockdown started, my Mum made it clear to both my Dad and me: I am not doing all the cooking on my own. You have nothing to do either, so you can take over as well. And we did. We would all take our turn cooking dinner. 

Waffles.
From Norway
I quickly learnt that cooking spuds, carrots and a meatball was okay, but not really for me. Mainly because I could never get all the carrots cooked. Or the green beans or the cauliflower or whatever vegetable I was cooking, as it wasn't just for me, but for my parents as well. And we love our greens.

Pizza bianca (brie, bacon, walnuts, drizzle of honey. No tomato sauce)
Instead I turned my thoughts to other dishes. Spare ribs, fish pie, chicken with gorgonzola sauce and yes, even a vegetarian dish occasionally. I collected all these dishes, especially if they were to be repeated, in a big book. Which soon became too small to hold them all. The one book became three and I now have so many different recipes that I need at least one, if not two more books.

Rice pudding cake.
From Limburg in the Netherlands
Mind you, it's not all dinners. I also have cakes, desserts, soups, jams and plenty of other things as well. Like a recipe for hot sauce. Not for me, but for my Dad who likes things a tad spicier than my Mum and I do. 

Cardamom knots.
From Sweden
My lasagna (based on Sophia Loren's) does not just have minced meat and bechamel sauce. Oh no, it also contains salami and a lot of vegetables. A lot! The fish pie has been altered slightly to our tastes, as peas are great like peas, but not in every single meal (like the Brits do. I have always wondered whether every Brit has shares in the pea industry), so we use leeks instead. I may start off with a great looking recipe, but by the end, I have added, left out, or changed the whole thing. 

Cookbook 1 is for the basics, starters and side dishes.
Cookbook 2 is for main courses, meat, fish etc.
Cookbook 3 (most important) is for cakes, desserts and yummies.
The books are filling up. With meals I have had several times, others that need to still be tried. I get them from everywhere: I have recipes from all over the world, which I find in cookbooks or online. And if anyone has a good one: you know where to send it!

8 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    ..errr... steady on with the 'like the Brits do'... don't know where you've been eating, but in this household, peas are reserved where peas are deserved! That said, I have an aunt who puts peas with evetything... I think that it is one of the few veges that is actually as good from the freezer as it is fresh and many folk here like to live out of their freezers... &~{

    All those things above look fabulous (even if non-vege) and I congratulate you having found a new love of recipe collection and completion!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every restaurant I have ever eaten in in the UK seem to put peas in their food. I love peas, but not all the time! And very glad to hear you are not one of the pea-brigade.

      Delete
  2. Fish pies are fairly often mentioned in the British mysteries that we watch. I can't imagine eating a fish pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have a great collection of recipes. I keep my favorites in binders too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Golly gee next lockdown I'm coming to The Netherlands.
    WOW
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're making me hungry. The pizza, rice pudding and those rolls look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm. Rice pudding or bread pudding were regular desserts when I was a child on the farm. Now you made me hungry and nostalgic for my mom's rice pudding. I have never been able to duplicate it. Klem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a cake made with rice pudding. So yummy. Two of the best things combined into one! What's not to love??

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!