Monday 10 May 2021

Eurovision

Oh, the joy I felt when Duncan Laurence won Eurovision back in 2019. Finally, Eurovision was coming back to the Netherlands. (Fun fact: the Netherlands were the first ever nation to sing at a Eurovision Song Contest, back in 1956). The joy I felt when both my sister scored two tickets and I scored two tickets for the contest in 2020 was equally as big. And then...

Well, you all know what happened then. A tiny little virus that has kept the world in its grip for a good while now. And everything got cancelled because of it. My parents' fiftieth wedding anniversary party, football games, the Olympic Games and yes, even Eurovision. 

Roll in 2021 and Eurovision was back on. With or without public, nobody knew at that point, but the show would go on. Then a couple of months ago, the news was pretty good: there might be a chance of actual public being present. Only a chance mind. 

On April 1st, I got the news personally that Eurovision was going to have public present. And no, it was not an April Fool's joke. Then I got the news that as I had had tickets originally, I would be eligible to try again this time. Certain groups would be excluded (high risk groups), certain groups would most certainly experience severe trouble in coming over (from abroad, like my sister), so the chances of me actually scoring a ticket for the Jury show of the second semi-final were getting better. As were my sister's, who had been ordered by me to try for the Jury show of the first semi-final, for which she had held tickets.

For the original show, over 16,000 tickets were sold, this time there would only be 3,500 of them. Would I be lucky enough to get a ticket? Last Saturday I was ready and waiting. And the result?

Yes! Yes, to Jury show for the first semi-final (thank you Gera) and Yes, to Jury show to the second semi-final. They had better have Eurovision face masks...

9 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    OMG... HOORRRAAAHHHH!!!! That is some brilliant news for a big birthday year &*> I am truly excited for you and Gera - and of course expect that there will be the fullest coverage from our official reporter... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it will be just me attending: my sister is not coming over due to travel restrictions. She was gracious enough though to book a ticket for me, so I can go. However, I thought I would take the roving reporter Brom with me...

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! The US is beginning to hold public events, but ti will be awhile before Canada is able to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on scoring tickets! We hope all goes well and everyone stays safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. My goodness is Eurovision so old ? At that time we didn't have a TV and I had never heard of. In Brussels then I started to watch inthe 70th mybe for 10 years and then it became so stupid with this German singer who loved himself or something and I never watched again. Yes I hear a bit or read who wonn but that's it.

      Delete
  5. Whooppppeeeee! You and Brom will have a great time! Klem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope he will be allowed in, as he may be a bit too big! I might have to squash him somewhat...

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!