Saturday 4 February 2017

Square

My grandfather playing his recorder?
Eyes that is. Square eyes. Looking at that computer screen, trying to find information about my relatives of yesteryear does make my eyes go somewhat funny. Mind you, I do find great things, although mostly on my grandmother's side. They were an altogether more exciting bunch it seems. A princess, a murder, some great letters.

But I do find things on my grandfather's side as well. I just have to dig and dig and dig. I especially liked the story I found only yesterday about the man who seemed to be getting younger with every child. Literally! Although at his end, he was listed to be about 80. Which was correct, since he was four or five months off his 80th birthday.

A lot more looking and searching and reading small and nearly illegible writing will get me some more stories I hope. If not about the way they lived, then at least as to what they did for a living, which also tells a lot. So far I've found a salmon fisher (grandfather's) and a painter (grandmother's), but I know there are millers, turn skippers, mayors and several other jobs floating about. It will take time, but I will get there. 

I now have a goal as to when I want this book about my mother's ancestors and the book about my father's ancestors to be ready. I think I could go on forever, but for the sake of actually having something to show for what I've done over the past few years, my aim is to have it ready by July 15th this year. That should be enough time to have both books printed in time for my mother's birthday in August. 

In the mean time of course, I will keep you posted.

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift for your mom.
    I've used Blog2Print to print all of madi's books. We just printed and rec'd #12. I'm very pleased with them but not sure if they ship to Europe.

    RE: your question
    Madi Dad is a train brain...he only works on trains. LOL
    Hugs and happy Saturday
    Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a tuba your grandfather is playing. You sure are working on a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    Your mum will adore this... but the whole family will benefit from the knowledge - if they care to! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some will love it. I think my sister would like a copy, but others are not that interested. The now and the future is what counts and the past is gone.

      Delete
  4. They will really appreciate your gift.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!