Thursday 2 February 2017

Far from home

My Mum a few years ago
Living abroad is great. It really is. But sometimes it's not. It really isn't. Like when I had the operation a few years ago. It was my first operation ever and I was alone in a 'strange' country. Fortunately my mother came over to look after me the first week, but otherwise it was a lonely experience, without any of the people who knew me best.

A few weeks ago I got a call. A call which made me want to go home immediately, if only for a cup of decaf coffee and a stroopwafel. Just to see my mum. During a routine bi-annual check-up, they had found something wrong. More tests were needed, but they were nearly 100% certain she had bowel cancer. 

I am glad to say that since then, the more tests have proved to be in the normal range, so no worries on that score. However, the bowel cancer still stands and she will still need an operation, which will be within the month (most likely). So, if Brom and I dash off on a moment's notice, you now know why!

10 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Yeeech... I understand that one only too well... sending POTP to Mara-mum and a bit for Mara too. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both thank you (once I finally figured out what POTP meant again).

      Delete
  2. All the best to your Mom. We are close to at least the larger part of our small family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mara I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's upcoming surgery.
    It surely sounds like it was caught early. Please keep us posted as you can and and know that you are in our prayers and thoughts
    Hugs Madi and Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can understand your worries, fortunately of all cancers the bowel cancer is the less dangerous. My father had one and they cut off 1 m if I remember well, the bowel is so long. Anyway it's better not to have anything. You know some people even with family around are alone too ! Often there are the friends who take care of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMD We have YOU and your Mom in our hearts and prayers. We will Know and Certainly Understand any sudden departure. We hope that it is actually NOT NEEDED... We are HERE fur YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will keep her in my prayers. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crikey Mara .... of course you must dash off to be with your Mom. Thanks for letting us know and Charlie and I send all our love to you and your Mom and hope and pray all goes well for her. Try not to worry too much, aye? We'll be thinking of you. Hugs and sloppy whipped kisses ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still home in Norway now. I will go and see her after the operation.

      Delete
  8. To be so far from home in times of need must be terrible. I hope you find your Mum in good spirits when you visit. I am sure she will feel so much better for having you there.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!