Saturday 25 February 2017

More sledding

I hardly showed you any of the photos and even little videos of me sledding yesterday. That has to be rectified of course, so here goes... 

I think the video speaks for itself. Lay on flat board, go down, face in snow... However, our first attempts had been while sitting down on the board. The icy slope was very uneven though and halfway through I fell off. Right with my shoulder on a hard piece of ice. It's colouring nicely as I write this, plus it's more painful than the knee. Ah well, sacrifices had to be made, but after that, I kept to my stomach.

Look at me go! Like lightning (ahem)! After several goes down that slope, the underground had actually become a bit smoother. Which in turn made it harder for me to walk up of course, so several times hands and knees were used. Especially the lowest bit, where there was less ice and more deep snow.

However, the top bit was very steep and unless I made a toe-hold every single time, I would just slip down. So hands and knees it was there as well.

You can see the difference between the icy bits and the snow bits. The snow is lovely and smooth and pristine. The icy snow was actually shoveled over the side of the slope to clear the parking lot and that was much harder.

I was standing up in the snow here and it came well up to my knees. On the right you can see where we tried to go down further, but it was just impossible: 2 feet of fresh snow with a heavy person on top just means that the person goes down and down and down. Into the snow!

Pepperfly was filming and taking photographs from the bottom up and now you can see very clearly the amount of snow I bit in every time. I couldn't seem to lift the front of the board in time, so I had several faces full. This was the worst it got. Mainly because I stopped after this, since everything was wet and/or frozen!

Good thing I wore a scarf as well. That way I could dry off to some degree. 

All in all, it was a perfect day and I haven't even shown you some of the other photos we took of the surroundings and the way to and from. Those are for another day!

11 comments:

  1. Mara,
    WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE that was fun and we heard to snow crunching too. Brrrrr It will be 80F here today
    Enjoy your Saturday
    Hugs madi and mom
    Pepperfly is an interesting name...is it a nickname?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! I had a blog once, called pepperfly.nl That blog doesn't exist anymore, but Mara keeps calling me Pepperfly. I don't mind. :-)

      Delete
  2. Now your shoulder....so sorry about that. Burr!! Glad that it was a perfect day all in all.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a perfect day indeed, but I think Mara's shoulder looks like a bruised apple now...a big one. Interesting colouring of the skin, though... ;-)

      Delete
  3. Hari OM
    Oh yes the bumps and bruises are all part of the fun... this form of sledding reminds me of body surfing. Different temperatures, of course, and the water is actually wet - and moving. But pretty much the same! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we should try that out some time, Yamini! You know Mara, always on the lookout for new adventures. Body surfing sounds like an adventure indeed!

      Delete
    2. Those are the types of sled used nowadays. No wooden things to be seen anywhere, except the second hand stores.

      Not sure about the body surfing. At all...

      Delete
  4. Never got to sled, though I fell more than once on icy surfaces. Looks like great fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fall actually knocked the breath out of me for a couple of seconds and Pepperfly got the remaining gear to the car. She was a bit more surefooted than I was.

      Delete
  5. Those boards really are just boards. Our toboggans have curves on the front. Mind you, kids nowadays pretty much stick to plastic things.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!