Friday 24 February 2017

Sedate 40+?

According to some, once you have passed a certain age, you need to behave a certain way. I don't really buy that. Just because I am 45 doesn't mean I don't like certain things. And today me and Pepperfly did something I last did in the winter of 1992, when I was only 20. 

Going doooooooooown...
This morning I picked her up early and then we drove for nearly two hours to Sauda, a small community inland where, according to colleagues who live and work there, there was plenty of snow. There we met two of them. One lent us some snazzy looking flat boards and the other showed where it would be perfect to actually use those flat boards. He drove in front of us for nearly half an hour until we were deep into silent snowy country. It was gorgeous!

Pepperfly almost running up the hill again
We got dressed for the snow and then we took the boards for our very first attempt in a couple of years of sledding down a hill! It was brilliant. It was painful. It was cold. It was deep!! But it was so much fun. After our first attempt of trying to sled on 2 feet deep snow, we gave that up and only used the frozen over bit, which was still deep, but easier to sled on, since it didn't give way.

I trudged
After a bit of lunch, we gave it another go. And another and another. In between goes, we lay on our boards, enjoying the sun and its warmth and the quiet. It was so lovely there. We knew however it was over two hours back and we still wanted to take several photos underway as well. 

I may be 45 and Pepperfly a similar age, but we had a great day of 'childish' fun. Of course, a day of fun and activity would not be complete without a fall and while getting our gear back to the car (10 meters, if that), I slipped, fell and hurt my knee on some ice. But the day was great and nobody can take that away...

The video is of my last run down. The photo with me flipping my scarf over my shoulder is taken right after I cleared my face of snow. The scarf was soaking, as were my gloves and the inside of my coat. 

13 comments:

  1. What fun. I am very envious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun time to us! BTW, our pawrents are so much older than you and they act like pups most the time!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And quite rightly too! Age schmage is what I say!! Of course the body still has to cooperate as well!

      Delete
  3. Hari om
    Age is no barrier, only the mind! Fabulous outing gals!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much FUN! And it was so incredibly beautiful up there in those mountains. I've got tons more photos (also from the outing the day before) and they will get shown in the week to come at least.

      Delete
  4. Good for you!!!! What great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. A bit painful with that fall, but we had such a great time, even that didn't matter too much!

      Delete
  5. I could easily be your mother, but I agree fully with you. I don't care how I behave, as long as I have fun and don't look ridiculous (certain dances) My son pretends that I am childish, I told him it's better being childish than an old grandpa at 44 !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like great fun! We have no snow here … yet. It's supposed to be coming our way this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had some snow/sleet here yesterday, but nowhere near as nice as the lovely snow we had up there.

      Delete
  7. Sorry about your knee but that looks like a really fun time. Love the video!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well at least the injury came at the end and didn't ruin you fun play time. Hope you heal fast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was quite an ending in the video.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!