Friday 1 May 2015

Love poem

As you saw yesterday I am not the world's greatest poet. I doubt there will be any publishers knocking on my door any time soon. Not that I mind that much. I am not much into poetry anyway. In fact, every time I have to write the word peotry, I write it like I just wrote it! Wrong!! 

About 20 years ago, I had moved into my own place and was about to start a new job when I met a guy. I was flattered by his attention and actually quite liked him. He was the only other person on the training course we had to take who opened his mouth and asked questions. The rest just sat there like sheep. 

We exchanged phone numbers and addresses and a few nights later I heard the letter box. It must have been past 10pm, so quite late for the regular postman. I went to collect the mail and I found an envelope containing a love poem. I had never had a love poem before and this was one and a half! It was written in a very flowery style (the actual writing) and the contents were no less so. 

It was a fairly lengthy poem and talked about a number of things. He also used several sayings like: when there is one sheep through the gate, others are soon to follow (a very open translation of the Dutch saying here). Unfortunately for him I am a grammar snob and don't take lightly to misused sayings either. Because instead of using sheep, he had used deer! No idea why. But it irked me somewhat.

However, I did think it was quite admirable that he had taken the time to write this long poem and pretty soon afterwards, we started going out. For all of three weeks. Because I soon realised I was a changed person around him. And not for the good either! I had to hold my tongue, I didn't understand his jokes (that weren't jokes, but were jokes anyway) and I basically wasn't comfortable around him or his friends. We parted ways. 

Now I wonder where I left that poem? Because I still do have it. Somewhere...

Talking about love, did I tell you it was my parents' wedding anniversary today? 45 years. I bet my dad never wrote a bad love poem to my mum and if he did, she was too much in love to care about its being bad!! Happy anniversary!

5 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    CONGRATS TO THE PARENTALS........ and now you've piqued our curiosty - go poem hunting gal! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind poetry but never get around to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary to your parents! I do like poetry but sometimes I just don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with YAM, find the poem, oh, please. Congratulations to your parents on that accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it will take some time. I might give it a go, if I don't forget once I am home again!!

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!