Monday 19 April 2010

Limoncello Flip

Well, the winter has gone now and summer is rapidly approaching. So, instead of winter desserts, I am now looking for summer desserts. And in my big book of desserts I have I found this one.

Ingredients:
125 ml (1/2 cup) Limoncello*
115 gr (1/2 cup) caster sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
60 ml (1/4 cup) lemon juice
1 vanilla pod
250 ml (1 cup) whipping cream

6 (wine) glasses

Preparation:
1. Put the limoncello, sugar, lemon peel and lemon juice in a non-metallic bowl.
2. Cut the vanilla pod length-wise and scrape out the seeds. Throw the pod away.
3. Stir everything well and leave for two hours, occasionally stirring to dissolve the sugar.
4. Whisk the cream until stiff, then spoon in the limoncello mix two tablespoons at a time.
5. Divide the mixture equally over six glasses and put in the fridge for 5 hours.
6. Serve cold with a slice of lemon.

I've made this dessert twice now (I had to, the first time I didn't take photographs) and both times it tasted absolutely divine. There was one thing though: you have to stick it in the fridge for five hours and during those hours all the juices will sink to the bottom. Which means that if you don't stir before eating you will get a real kick at the end of your dessert. However, if you do stir you might as well drink it! Now, in the Netherlands we have a dessert called 'vla-flip'. It's orange squash on the bottom, then yoghurt and then custard (the vla). This reminded me of that, so that's why I called this dessert a Limoncello Flip!

*Limoncello is an Italian liqueur based on lemons. A good liquor store should be able to provide some. Store it in your freezer and have a sip on a hot summer's night. Mind you, once you've tasted the limoncello, you might not have enough anymore to make your dessert!

If you know of any good summer desserts, why not send me the recipe. I promise to make ànd taste every single one I receive (scientific purposes you understand) and write about it afterwards!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious! I love lemons! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to look for the Limoncello. I adore all things lemon.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!