Wednesday 7 April 2010

L is for...

Library

A place set apart to contain books, periodicals and other materials for reading, viewing, listening, study or reference, as a room, set of rooms or building where books may be read or borrowed.

But in my mind a library is much more. It is a place of foreign lands, peoples, animals, things. It's a place of imagination and fantasy, a place where you can go to meet the world without having to get on a plane, a place of escape and coming home.

The library in the photo is the library at Wimpole Hall and I was lucky to visit it last week. Imagine having all that space to place your books, a nice comfy couch, a roaring fire and a glass of wine or a mug of hot chocolate. I might never get out again!

For more L-words from around the world, please check out ABC Wednesday and join in the fun!

13 comments:

  1. We went to the library today. Good timing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful library. Thank you for sharing it with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I sit by you on the couch? Looks like a wonderful place to wile away the hours and daydream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The library in the picture looks lovely. Ours is more modern and definitely no coffee or chocolate! I know which I'd prefer. A

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like the perfect library - definitely my type of place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great library! It's my favorite place to be and this one is especially welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Libraries are so wonderful. I feel like a live in a small one here - tons of books and the Internet! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wouldn't mind sitting in that library for awhile, leafing through a book while sipping on coffee. Oops it's England, so make it tea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I would get out of there either. it looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An enchanting spot - such luxury to have a beautiful room like this to house all the adventures the books hold.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A perfect L - one of my favourite places! I could spend hours there exploring and reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, libraries are such fun! Places of magic, for sure, and the only problem with them is that they eventually want you to give the books back!

    On behalf of the team, thanks for taking part in ABC Wednesday this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was in the Charlotte, NC library this week, even though I'm a librarian in Albany, NY. Busman's holiday, I guess.

    Ramblin' w Roger (ABC Wednesday team)

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!