Monday 26 April 2010

Award

It's taken a while, also due to my computer problems, but about a week ago I received an award! Debby at Just Breathe was so kind as to give me one, on account of me leaving a lot of comments. Which I haven't done in the last few days (and I am sorry for that Debby, I will try and 'better' my life).

Anyway, there's not much that's attached to this award, I just have to hand it to between five and ten others! Well, if you want it people, come and get it. But that is basically the only condition attached to this award. And that is kind of boring. So, I thought I would tell you a bit about the newest book I bought: The 'Worst Case Scenario' almanac. Here are three facts about bad things from the past.

1. In 1212 the Children's Crusade failed. The children were expecting the Mediterranean to split in two (like Moses split the Red Sea) and when that failed they took to boats. However the boats weren't heading for the Promised Land, but to Algeria where the children were sold into slavery!

2. In 1853 a new law comes into effect in England: the Factory Act. From now on the working week should stay under 72 hours! That would be six days of twelve hours, since Sunday was the day of rest of course.

3. Vlad the Impaler was born in 1431 in the little town of Sighisoara, Romania. He is mostly known for impaling, decapitating, eye gouging, skinning alive, cutting into pieces and mutilating between 40,000 and 100,000 people during his reign. Oh, and then he held garden parties next to the impaled. His reasons? "I did this so nobody in my country would be poor". He died aged 45 on the battlefield in a fight against the Turks.

1 comment:

  1. That's quite a book! Now I need to go and read a cheery blog. :)

    Congrats on your award! You DO give the best comments!!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!