Saturday 7 March 2020

Trash or treasure?

A treasure trove
Occasionally my mother and I salivate. Mostly over yarns and threads, where I go for the first and she goes for the latter. But sometimes, we both have a glimmer in our eyes and we are both a bit greedy.

See the brown/beige fabric at the back?
That would have been white originally!
Like the other day when my father came home with a little box. He had gotten it from somebody else who had gotten it from their grandmother. And the things in that little box were faded and discoloured. They were also enough to make a crafter's heart beat faster.

As I said there were faded and discoloured bits of fabric. Thin and not really of interest to either my mum or me. There was a little old blouse that was so damaged that neither of us had the feeling to save it. 

I loved that tiny bottle with its cork stopper
The needle tin is the one that says HEMA, a well-known shop in the Netherlands
There were several ribbons, some of the embroidered variety, others of the plain variety. There were some buckles, although how they had to be fastened to anything is anybody's guess. There was an old bottle of aspirin (also great for a hangover it said on the label) filled with tiny bead-thingies. There was a small tin with needles and such. There were buttons and threads.

Buckles that need a polish, linen buttons and a necklace without fastener.
For some that box would have gone straight in the skip. For us it was a treasure trove. Some of it we'll keep, other things will be moved on to somebody who does a lot of sewing (one lady makes dolls, perhaps she can incorporate some of the fabric). 

10 comments:

  1. There were many items in that box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh Mara you and your Mom and I would make a threesome.
    I salivate over buttons!! I just love them..then can turn a mundane outfit into a fashion statement
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice that someone rescued those items instead of just sending them to the bin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    Oh you know I's a wee tad jellygreen at your treasure trove! I love stuff like this. Hoorah for the recycling. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure it's not still the bug going about that is turning you green??

      Delete
  5. My ghostwriter had little collections of stuff like that, including a whole coffee can full of buttons from Grandma Elsie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That aspirin bottle is a treasure, I love it! So glad you and your mom enjoyed the box.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3 of my cousins are 'junkers'. They find the most interesting item. Two have shops at an antique mall where the sell their finds. Some items they just clean a bit others are painted and such.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This came to us from a friend of a friend? When my maternal grandmother passed away, I wasn't yet into all the things I do now, so wasn't too bothered about stuff being thrown out. But, I did find one treasure of hers, only a month or so ago when all the old patterns she had came our way: a certificate of her taking a sewing course. That will be framed and hung up in my hobby room whenever I move into a home big enough!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!