Monday 2 March 2020

Secretary

At their engagement party in 1969
This morning as I came downstairs, my father was about to leave to go to work. He may soon be hitting 75, but he is still really active. There was something he wanted to ask me though: could I make an invitation.

You see, it is nearly fifty years ago that my parents said I do to each other and they still hadn't gotten the invitations to a party sorted. They would have done it sooner, but illness and subsequent passing away of a family member, kept them from it. 

So, I got going. What to do though? In the end I made three versions. And they got to pick one. The one which was most like their original wedding invitation, albeit with photos this time around. 

When that was done, I rang a friend, but before long the landline rang: the dentist. Where was my Dad? Not five minutes later (while still on the phone with the friend), the phone rang again: my uncle: where was my Dad? And you guessed it: only several minutes later, somebody else called looking for my Dad.

But, the cards are on their way to be printed now, my Dad has been located again (sitting right next to me at time of typing) and he can answer the phone again from now on...

8 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    OOOOHhhhh, party time. Glad dad was found though. He's an important part of that equation!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have my shoes for the party. Now the rest of the outfit...

      Delete
  2. Your dad is very popular. How nice that your parents are celebrating 50 years together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have our 50th wedding anniversary behind us, we were never engaged we lived (secretly) a year together and then we married! Very unusual at that time !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! He goes to work when he's 75.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have fun helping plan the celebration. Congrats to your Dad on continuing to work at 75. My older sis worked till 80 and my Dad had to give up his home appliance repair business at 84. Dad was not happy about retirement but after double knee replacement he was unable to be on his knees to work on dishwashers, refrigerators, etc. Some folks are just

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much planning involved: guests arrive, there will be coffee and cake and drinks and nibbles and then a buffet with food. They just phone the venue and say how many are coming.

      Delete
  6. Glad the invitations are sorted out. So where was your dad? Did you ask him? Seems like a pretty popular guy!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!