Monday 30 March 2009

Spring

My spirits are lifting. Slowly but surely they're coming up out of the blue depths they've been wallowing in and arriving in the sunshine. Helped by a day off, a good book ("First among sequels" by Jasper Fforde), sunshine and rising temperatures. So, out we all went, annoying the neighbour's cats, hanging up the laundry and trying to get a photograph of those little metallic beetles in the end of the branch (nope).

While out in the garden I discovered a plant I hadn't seen before. Well, only in other people's gardens, never in mine. Ground crawlers and only found in the spring, they are considered by some gardeners to be quite a pest. However, since my garden is an eclectic mix of 'never doing much' and trees that came blowing in, a butterfly bush, a berry bush and my christmas tree of two years ago, I probably wouldn't be the authority to ask. I did take a photo however. I think it's of the speedwell family. I like the flowers, they are cheerful and in the absence of any other flowers in my garden, they herald spring to me.

1 comment:

  1. That's a celandine! I love them, but yes, to a serious gardener they are a pest because you only have to leave a tiny piece of root in the ground and a new plant will grow. We have lots of them, in the flower beds and in the grass too! My lawn also has violets in it, and a tiny blue star-shaped rockery plant that escaped. I don't mind.

    I'm glad your spirits are lifting!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!