Wednesday 11 March 2009

H is for...


Homeless

In 2007 I went to Rome for the very first time. Two drivers, a coach full of high school students and Italy: a fantastic combination. Our hotel in Rome didn't have parking space for the coach, so we had to park about two and a half kilometres away at a disused airport (Ostiense). There was a large bus, lorry and car parking facility there and it was guarded day and night, so that was good.

On the first night we parked there, we walked back to the hotel and as we left the coach park, we saw this camp. Lots of blue tents that had been provided by the City Council of Rome. Most tents had matrasses or even beds next to them (bottom right of the photo), because most people slept outside during spring and summer. I guess they would move 'inside' during the colder seasons though.

Most of the inhabitants of this camp were male and in their twenties and during the day they would sit in the shade of the airport building. And most of the evening as well come to that. So, when on one occasion I drove the coach to the parking lot at night, I had the coach park attendant phone for a taxi: no need to get myself in trouble on purpose!

For more H words, please check out: ABC Wednesday

18 comments:

  1. I enlarged the photo and that's quite the tent city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating tent city. I guess that homelessness is a worldwide problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just this evening the TV news had pictures of a tent city that has sprung up in Sacramento, California. These are people who have lost their jobs and/or their homes in the current economic downturn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting expose into homeless in Italy. When we visited Paris we saw a similar thing there; homeless in tents on the riverbank.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and good luck coming Friday! I will keep everything crossed for you. Sterkte!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is a lot of tents - and provided by the government? That's really good. Not perhaps as good as a house, but definitely better than a cardboard box!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is unbelievable....I wonder if it really is there year round.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You chose an unusual "H" for your post, and chose very well. I think it admirable for the government to furnish shelter, even of this sort, for the homeless of the area. Excellent photos.

    Thanks for your visit to my "H" is for Hands post. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this post sure does make me count my blessings tonight as well as say my prayers for all those in need.
    thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks nice !! thanks for your visit to my page :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats crazy but at least the Government is aware if they are handing out tents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sad.

    Good choice - makes us all count our blessings, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that is a very sad sign of the times.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, what an interesting 'H' post. It's a great shot, too, even if a sad subject.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!