Friday 18 June 2021

Where I live

I live with my parents at the moment and have done ever since I came back from Northern Ireland. I was mentally bruised, I was sad to leave my sister behind (especially in view of things that were then still way in the future) and I barely had a penny to my name.

The garden from above
I had registered with the social housing agency as soon as I could, but knew I would be in it for the long haul. The very long haul as waiting for a new home doesn't just take months, it takes years. Fortunately I don't live in Amsterdam, where a wait of a decade or more is the norm. In the area where I live, it would be more like 5-7 years. Still plenty!

The living room with view over the garden
So, when I got the chance for the house that was being lotteried off, I was in it. Then when I was first candidate, I was so happy. But did I get it in the end? Well... on Wednesday I got a phone call. From the housing agency. I got it! I actually got it! Paperwork was fine and as of yesterday I was the new renter of the house by the school. 

One of the bedrooms, there are 2 more!
Now for the moving in part. It won't be for a few weeks yet, as the walls need painting, the floors need covering, the windows need covering. Then the storage needs to be emptied and everything put in the house. In a way that I like of course. 

But officially? As of June 17th, I have a place of my own...

15 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    aaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhhggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....
    Oh Mara darling this is the best news this year!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks wonderful and that garden is ripe for planting of all sorts. Wooohooooo..... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That garden is ripe for a complete overhaul first! Although I did spot a lot of blackberries in the back, so that will not come out. Although trimmed back a bit probably.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! We hope you and Miss Oswin enjoy your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A giant stop forward for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! It looks like a nice place. Can't wait to see it after you move in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mara that is so exciting and OMCs I had no idea of the time and effort that needed to be put into a home. WOW. Patience is the name of the game. I look forward to watchin as you prepare you new home.

    Hugs and good luck
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doing the happy dance for you, Miss O and Brom. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I screamed down the phone when I got told. The poor lady on the other side got a shock with that.

      Delete
  7. How exciting. I am so thrilled for you. A home of your own is just what you need to move on to the next chapter in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. All is good where I live now, but it will be better in my own place.

      Delete
  8. Mooi! Mét fijne jungle voor Miss Oswin. 🙃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, daar moet nog wat werk verzet gaan worden!

      Delete
  9. CONGRATULATIONS! This is very exciting. Hooray for you!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!