Friday 25 June 2021

The end

When I got my hysterectomy back in the winter of 2015, I was told that to keep me from having more trouble coming my way, it would be best if I were to take medication. At least until I had gone through menopause.

Not just any medication either: the pill. The one that keeps millions of women regular and helps them not become pregnant at the drop of a hat. And in my case: helps my remaining ovary from not producing eggs that my body might than encapsulate, which would then result in more trouble.

When to stop taking it though. Yes, I realise the menopause bit, but when am I through it? With the pill I use, I don't notice any trouble. Without any lady bits (apart from a shrivelled ovary), it would be different anyway. 

I saw a male lady doctor who looked inside, told me I was fine and that it would be okay to stop once I hit fifty. Especially seeing the shrivelled ovary, the fact I was early to get my first period and my mum getting through it early as well. 

I have written this post on Thursday and that means that by the time this post arrives on your screens, there will only be 2 more pills left to take (the white ones are dummies, I don't take those). 

Not sure what will happen once I stop, but I will keep you posted on possible mood swings, hot and cold flashes, chocolate cravings (hold on, I always have those) and other symptoms. Of course it could also be a complete dud and nothing at all happens! 

9 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    ... best wishes..??? YAM xx (who having gone through twenty years of troubles due to hormonal change can say little else!!!) YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue's flashes went on a bit, and she still runs hot, but all of the time. It seems that women of a certain either run a bit hot or a bit cold. It seems that way, but I may be wrong. I usually am wrong about most things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it goes well for you. I too was on the pill and stopped in my early 50's since that is when my mom went through her change. I didn't have any trouble since then...except for those chocolate cravings...oh yeah, they are all the time for me too. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Dear Mara...the female body quite complicated the Mystery of Menopause is so different with each person too. Something that was not talked about by my Mom's generation so I had no clue what to expect. I was mostly plagued by hot flashes and insomnia. I was on Evista for about 5 years HRT. It helped with the hot flashes but insomnia comes and goes.
    Sending hugs this passes for you w/o to many issues.
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was menopaused at 45 !! and the stupid (male) doctor told me that I am too young ! Fortunately I didn't listen to him and continued the pill you never know. Then I went to a female gynecologist who had a blood test done and told me that I was in full menopause ! You can only see that in the hormons in the blood. Then she prescribed me hormons (which today the gynocologists don't do only in special cases) and that was it. There are women who are menopaused at 30 ! Only a test can tall if yes or no. I stopped the hormons they mademe depressive. Not so easy to find what is good for you !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you all the best and hope that you don't have any mood swings or hot flashes. Take care. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah the joy of being female! Hugs as you go through this. BTW my MIL had been on hormones following her hysterotomy in her mid thirties. At 95 the doctor said it was bad for her to be on the hormones and should be taken off. Hubby said you are kidding. She is 95, what's it going to do shorten her life? Hormones remained as part of her life till the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, how strange nobody ever noticed before! Did she never visit a doctor at all?

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!