Wednesday 16 June 2021

Are you feeling lucky?

Do you ever play in the lottery? Do you ever buy a ticket and know, just know, that you will win that jackpot? And then the day comes and you might win 10 euro (or equivalent in your currency). But the next time you will buy that ticket again, because this time...

Well, I do. Not necessarily hoping for the jackpot, but a nice amount to cover the repayments on my car and get me a nice holiday. June 10th was another lottery day. I bought ten 20% tickets, which mean that if I win anything, I only get 20% of it. I paid 30 euros. I won a total of 15 euros. Yeah. Next month's tickets are bought already...

I did also play in another lottery. A housing lottery. Basically trying to find a new rental home in the town where I live, I need to have been registered for more years than I have been now. At least 5 to my current 2,5. But on occasion the social housing agency also lists houses where it is not important how long you have been registered, as the house up for rent will be 'lotteried' off. 

I don't often go for those type of places. Mainly because they are apartments in a neighbourhood I'd rather not live or because they are fairly small. This time however, it was for a family home with three bedrooms. Well, I have as much chance as the other 280? applicants, so why not enter this lottery. 

I felt good about it. Really good about it. I mean, I had less than a 0,36% chance, but it felt good! And then the day came the application closed. So, what place did I get? Come back tomorrow!

PS: I don't play the lottery every month, only about two or three times a year. I realise I will have more luck keeping my money in my purse and saving up that way. Or do I???

6 comments:

  1. Who doesn't try doesn't win ! For me it's both I never won anything in my life ! Renting houses or apartments is not a problem here if you pay the price ! However for what they call "social houses" there are also waiting lists unfortunately it's sometimes rented by people who really don't need to take the place of one in need ! That makes me angry ! A friend's son got such an apartment and very beautiful and the parents are swimming in money and would pay, but stealing the state is better !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Well... you have me crossing my fingers for you!!! Can't wait to hear.

    I often THINK about it, but usually forget about entering any such thing. I do have a monthly ten quid on autopay for Postcode Lottery and average a 50% return on expenditure in a year. Enough to encourage nowhere near enough to excite! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents play the Postcode Lottery and I don't think they get to 50%, although what with gifts, they might get close (the most recent gift: a bird book!).

      Delete
  3. I don't usually do lottery tickets. I have received some as gifts. Never more than a 5er. Klem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birthday and Christmas would be my main ones, although I always have to buy my own.
      I wonder what the giver would say if you won the jackpot. Would they want in on the prize?

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!