Thursday 3 June 2021

The garden

After we had been away for a week, it was nice to be back home again and see how the garden did. Which was not too bad really. But even though it had rained occasionally during my week away, after I had come back, it just started raining in all seriousness. Cats and dogs, pipe stems (Dutch expression, don't ask), bucket loads. 

I like the leaves
All the while I kept thinking: my lettuce, my lettuce! It was surely not going to survive that onslaught of water. Even with the little holes in the bottom of the pots, it was touch and go. And then the rain stopped. And the few bedraggled leaves of lettuce were still clinging on. For dear life, granted, but they were clinging on. 

The rocket going like a rocket
Once the rain had stopped, all the plants decided that sun was good and that growing was better. Some more than others, but they did all grow a bit bigger. Right now the first harvest has been done: the radishes have been picked and eaten. Including the leaves (yes, you can eat those too), which for me makes them a bit more palatable as radishes on their own taste like... well... radishes. I am not fond of radishes.

Not quite red and juicy, but soon
The next thing to be harvested (well, start of) will be the rocket. The outer leaves are now big enough to cut away and eat, leaving the inner leaves to grow and produce more leaves. Also the strawberries are coming along and some of them will soon be picked and eaten. 

If you look closely you can see five green shoots coming up. 
I have sown some new things as well: garden cress inside (harvested and eaten), peas (several leaves peeking up already) and radishes. Yes, even though radishes are not my favourite, I loved the multi colour seeds I got, which will produce several different colour radishes. I can hardly wait. 

The last thing I wanted to show you is our basil plant. I had bought this in the supermarket, so we would have fresh basil at home. However, we are not eating that much basil and one day I saw there were small flowers forming, which have now begun to bloom! How good is that?

10 comments:

  1. I think all gardeners grow radishes, and I'm not sure why. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mara you have a happy garden. The radish is absolutely perfectly shaped and pretty.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're glad to hear your garden us doing well despite all that rain. Those strawberries will be ready to eat and will no doubt be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    Lush. simply that... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing better than eating your own produce. Not that I'm any kind of expert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My maternal grandfather had an allotment, my paternal grandfather had a farm with allotment set aside and my parents used to have an allotment. Most things taste better, just not broad beans, they are always vile!

      Delete
  6. Your garden plants look delicious! But I agree with you on the radishes. I never did like them. We used to grow tomatoes, but our angel Charisma was an expert at judging which ones were perfectly ripe, and then she'd pick and eat them. She taught angel Joey dog that skill too. We lowly humans hardly ever got any tomatoes to ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always great tasting fresh veggies As for heavy rains, expressions you might hear are trash movers, gully washers, and frog stranglers. Klem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frog stranglers? That is such a funny expression. I might start using that.

      Delete
  8. Those strawberries are coming along nicely. Glad you are enjoying your garden and glad the rain had stopped.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!