Friday 29 March 2019

Of jobs and such

Not only did I get work to do starting this Sunday, in fact, from this Sunday I am working right through until next Sunday! No, not all on the bus (not allowed for starters), but I do have one day off where I will volunteer at the shelter. Talk about throwing somebody in at the deep end! It had better be worth it.

However, the job itself was throwing up a problem. Basically: how am I going to get there? The plan had been of course to find a job in Zwolle and cycle to work. As the job in Zwolle was a no-go, cycling would be difficult too. And public transport is out of the question as well, as I sometimes start before or finish after buses go. 

Which meant I would another form of transportation. Like a moped or a car. I have never been on a moped in my life and thought that if I were to get fouling-up-the-environment mobile, I might as well get a car. 

My very first car
On Thursday I checked the local car sites to find a car within my price range. Which is basically zero, but I might be able to get a bit more together. I found three cars below my maximum, all three of a certain age. My mum and I headed out to see two of those three cars (same lot) and check whether they were any good. 

They were both large Renault Scenic MPV's, one from 2002 and the other from 2003. The latter looked better, but they were very similar. The main difference being the odometers: 203.000 vs 215.000 kilometers (a lot a lot of miles). They were both out of my immediate price range though, so our next stop was the bank, where they were willing, but not too willing.

Today me and my dad checked out the third car. Again an older car (1998), but it looked a lot better, both on the in- as the outside. And the odometer stood at just over 103.000 kilometers! It had had one careful owner, it was virtually immaculate and it had always been serviced by that garage. They could do something about the price (thanks dad), they could offer insurance and tomorrow I can pick it up. With a new MOT, battery and two tires. 

So, if you see me scooting around in my new old car, give me a wave!

14 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    OOooohh you've joined the red car brigade - welcome!!! All best for the new job too. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it is a really shiny one as well. For as long as it lasts...

      Delete
  2. It's old but seems to be in good shape. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sure is a clean looking car and very low miles considering its age. Good luck on the start of your new job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and it is R E D!!!
    That is for sure gonna be a fine car. Good luck with your work
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...een poosje geleden had ik er bijna zo eentje gekocht. Voor erbij. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tja, voor mij zal ie voor het echie zijn! Hij is niet groot, hij is niet nieuw, maar voorlopig heb ik hem en kan ik in ieder geval naar mijn werk! Geld verdienen. Sociaal doen. Leven opbouwen.

      Delete
    2. Precies! En dat gaat lukken! Zet 'm op!

      Delete
  6. I hope it's worth it!
    Oh exciting, congrats on the car. Wishing you many safe years of driving it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There will be no stopping you now you have your own wheels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Within limits! I can't see myself driving all the way to Norway in this little car.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations ! Looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are living a charmed life these days.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!