Wednesday 20 March 2019

Naked babies

Every country has its own food habits. I grew up in the Netherlands and even though I have lived abroad for several years, my basic cooking style is always Dutch. With some foreign influences thrown in.

Of course food has names and sometimes those names can be a bit weird. Like the other day, when we had 'naked babies in the grass' for dinner. And before you all call the Dutch police: no real babies were used in this dish. I think.

Basically it's string beans (a type of flat green bean) that is sliced in small strips. They represent the grass. The babies are the white beans that are added. It is a dish that you can get ready made in jars, but when asking my parents about it: my father had never heard of it until he met my mother, whereas my mother had grown up with it.

The other food on the plate? Well, potato with gravy, all mashed up by fork and a lovely sausage. It may not be the prettiest plate of food, but as long as the food tastes good...

12 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Hearty home-made fare can't be beat! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it is definitely hearty. And tasting good most of the time.

      Delete
  2. That sure is a funny name for that green bean dish. Dinner looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mara I wish you could pass me a plate of food thru the monitor that looks so yummy. I love green beans (those look like what we call French Green beans) I have never thought to add white beans but It would be quite yummy I'm positive.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks yummy, despite the name. My Jessy human has a recipe called a Dutch Baby. I think it's kind of like a pancake that's cooked in a big iron pan in the oven. I'll have to ask her. Oma used to describe custard as "going down like naked mice."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard of that. I love custard! I missed that so much in Norway!

      Delete
  5. Taste is what it is about. Love the local names for food. My dad would give names at times. Bologna was called round steak! That food looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bologna to me is a city in Italy and nothing else. I think we would call it mince meat.

      Delete
  6. Yes that is a weird name but the dish looks very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's the official name though. I never saw it on the jars in any case!

      Delete
  7. Actually they sounds pretty good. Definitely haven't seen that available in jars here!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!