Wednesday 13 March 2019

Fighting back

Two skaters in Drenthe, 2012
I remember a cold winter's afternoon. I was still in primary school and must have been about 8 or 9 at the time. We were due to visit my paternal grandparents that day and stay the weekend, but first there was the skating races we were having with our school. Because of the cold the ditches in the park had frozen and it was all perfect. 

Perfect for everybody else but me, as I was cowering in a corner somewhere having a bad headache. It wasn't my first, but usually they came during the night and a children's aspirin would cure them. This time it was during the day and I felt awful.

Seven of us in a shower cubicle, I am the one in yellow.
1986
During my teens I can only think of one time where I had a headache, on a school trip to London. Then during my twenties the headaches became more frequent, but whether that was due to the huge quantities of strong coffee I drank or to the fact that I actually had more migraines? Who knows, but the problem was really born then. 

After moving back to the Netherlands in the early '90s, I used medication for a short while. But being in my early 20's and having to take medication for something that was not life threatening, felt a bit stupid and I stopped taking them. 

Fast forward to now. Migraines have become a very unwanted part of my life. And up to a few years ago I actually worked as normal, even during attacks. Taking aspirins and paracetamols and ibuprofen and whatever over-the-counter meds there are. Nothing ever worked. 

I hope to soon start a new job as a bus driver again. And having to deal with migraines on a fairly regular basis is not something I want to do. So, I am fighting back! This morning I went to my gp and asked for preventative medication. 

From tomorrow I will start on Beta blockers. Again, as I think I had those in my early 20's as well. The first week I will be on half the dose to get used to them and then I will go to regular dose. Fingers crossed they work!

11 comments:

  1. Mara I certainly send positive vibes that the beta blockers do the trick.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    crossing things this side for you too! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just make sure you uncross before starting to walk! No more trips to A&E please!

      Delete
  3. Fingers and paws crossed the the new meds will help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully those meds will work. Be careful when you start taking beta blockers. They are usually used to control high blood pressure and will drop your heart rate down too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doctor told me. He said that if I was used to doing the kilometer in 3 minutes, I had to forget that from now on. Since it takes me 10 minutes anyway...

      Delete
  5. Definitely fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well this is exciting news. I pray they do their magic and work for you so you have no more migraines.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!