Monday 4 March 2019

Carnaval

On Saturday I wanted to get to town. I needed some different coloured threads and there would be a parade because of carnaval. Which is what I went to see first.

I didn't have the best view: several people in front of me bobbing their heads up and down, but overall I was okay. We stood for a long time waiting though. And the two minutes away was easily ten minutes, but eventually they started coming.

The first two photos are of people finding their way to the beginning of the parade or just to their friends. It seemed to me that a lot of effort had been made to look fun. The lady with the green face actually had a little (stuffed) dog slung over her shoulder!

The third photo is of the head of the parade. He was a member of the official carnaval clubs that exist in and around our town, hence the head gear. 

This was part of one of the floats. Those floats are quite old and will be used year after year. As long as they can get rid of all the 'snot in a can' of course!

This gentleman was dressed as 'Dorus'. He was a variety artist, who did mostly sketches and singing. One song of his dealt with two moths living in his coat, because "you shouldn't wreck young love". 


I loved this Japanese/Chinese inspired ladies/gentlemen. They carried signs around as well which were quite funny, but I didn't manage to capture any of those! Which was annoying.

The last thing I want to show you is a little video I shot as well. One of the floats that came by and the type of music you can expect to hear during the carnaval weekend: loud, silly and loud!

14 comments:

  1. Oh what FUNS!!! Glad you got to go and see this parade
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun, but I'm not too sure about that music. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most important carnaval celebration is in Binge with the Gilles. I don't know how they will manage this year with this wind ! In some cities it had been during the weekend and continues until April I think ! It's not like in Germany where it takes place 3 days and then it's over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WooHoo what a fun and colorful carnaval!! I love the care folks took to dress for the event. The video was good quality. What were they singing?
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS did you remember to buy thread? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! I work for a German company and a lot of peopkle are out of the office during Carnaval! It is a serious big deal - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's celebrated more in the South of the Netherlands (the more catholic part) and it is massive in Germany. From November 11th right up to this past weekend.

      Delete
  7. Wow, the costumes and make-up are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hari om
    Colourful and engaging spring event! YAMxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a way to brighten up a winter's afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they were lucky with the weather as well. Parades on the Sunday (elsewhere) were not so lucky.

      Delete
  10. Well, that looked like fun! One of my nephews lives in New Orleans. He rides one of the floats in the massive parades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind seeing that some day as well. But there are so many things I want to see, my list seems to be growing by the day.

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!