Thursday 17 January 2019

The gratitude jar

At the end of last year, as I was staying at my sister's, she had something on her Facebook about gratitude jars. I thought it sounded like a wonderful idea and I asked her about it again after a few days. By then she couldn't find it anymore on her Facebook, but she said there were plenty of places online where you could find information about it. And then I forgot all about it! Typical.

Then today, grasping around in the back of my head for inspiration for a new post, I came upon it again. I looked up some of the information online, but it's basically like this: Every day/week/month you write a little dated note about what you feel thankful for. Then, at the end of a pre-set date (Thanksgiving for those of you who celebrate it, or Christmas, a birthday, New Year) or when the jar is full, you open it again and re-read what it is you wrote. 

And there are no limits to what you can be thankful for: your dog not pooping in the house anymore, your husband doing the dishes, your children baking you a chocolate cake, the sun coming up in the morning! Anything. Of course, as I hadn't started when I wanted to start (January 1st), I had to cast around a bit in my mind about what made me feel thankful in the first two weeks of this year. 

For my first week? I am thankful that the company I work for now were very understanding when I told them I was leaving and that even in a period where there is very little work, they still let me work several days a week. And for my second week? I am thankful that Stena are kind enough to wait for me on the occasions I am running a bit late and that they give me plenty of food to keep me sustained!

I will not be posting about what I am thankful for each week. But I do hope I will be continuing putting my thankful notes in my little jar and I will be taking it to the Netherlands in the car as well. My opening date will most likely be New Year's Eve, or when the jar is full, whichever comes first.

12 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    This is a savings jar for the soul! It would be fun for us, your readers, if you picked your top five 'gratitudes' when you get round to opening the jar; that is to say, you may find that there is one thing which crops up often, or there is a particular memory attached... whatever criteria you choose. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is the basic idea behind it as well. Mind you, I am planning to write once a week, but if I feel more thankful than that, there is no stopping me writing more notes!

      Delete
  2. On a similar variation, I have been gifted a jar from each daughter. One was of memories and the other other of thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very important to remember our blessings. I think this is an excellent post and idea
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not thankful for things, why should I be thankful and to whom ?? I am just happy ! For all things which happen to me I would be happy and not thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A gratitude jar sounds like a good idea - it's all too easy to moan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like losing my glasses and having to wear a spare pair which weren't as nice.

      Delete
  6. What a great idea, how encouraging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like double blessings, one when you write it and a second when you re read the items.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!