Wednesday 2 January 2019

Happy 2019

First things first: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Right, and then back to business. It's already been more than a week since I last posted and even that one was a pre-post. No, I haven't been working, they managed to get me off, but I have been on holiday. And Brom decided he wanted to have a holiday as well, so that meant neither of us wrote. We don't feel sorry at all for that. We just wanted some nice time with my sister.

On Saturday the 22nd we made our way to my sister's. Miss O was NOT amused by the journey, especially when I turned the radio up during a nice sing-along number. But, once at my sister's, she was okay. On the Sunday we went to church for a service unlike any I have ever seen. But, according to friends of my sister's, neither had they! After church we had to drive back to mine, to pick up some forgotten things, but after that we relaxed. In the evening we went to the cinema: Fantastic Beasts part 2. I liked it very much and can't wait for number 3! 

Taking Lego apart. It took an afternoon.
Christmas Eve saw me making my Dronning Maud pudding. Yes, the Norwegian desert that is so scrumptious and yummy, I couldn't resist making it again. We watched television and did nothing special. Christmas Day dawned and we were going to have duck. Which we did. I had managed to persuade my sister to get me some sprouts (I love them, she hates them) and the whole dinner was exactly as we wanted. Yum. With a severe amount of left-overs though, we had several more days of food. 

Boxing Day was left-over food, more relaxing, more television. I read, my sister crocheted, Miss O slept. During the days that followed, we cleared out some cabinets in my sister's kitchen, resulting in a trip to the second hand shop (I had some stuff too) and we made sure we got rid of the old electrical appliances we both had and were gathering dust and being in the way. We needed to rent a van to do that, since we also needed to move her bed back. 

A new project, to be on sale from November
Then, the whole show went on the road. An empty suitcase, a cat, a litterbox, food and drink. Everything had to move to mine where we were going to be spending New Year's. Once here, we did more of what we had already done: relaxing. Watching television, reading (Gera), knitting (me), sleeping (Miss O). Oh, and we listened to the radio. The Dutch radio always has a top 2000 of the most favourite songs ever starting at Christmas, so we listened to that. 

On New Year's Eve I made oliebollen (oily balls, the forerunner of the donut, but much better) and we sang out the old year listening to the radio, reading, knitting and sleeping. New Year's Day dawned and I started getting some things sorted. We had taken an empty suitcase from my sister's and that was going to be filled with summer clothes. As I don't know how long I will live with my parents before finding my own place again and I don't want to get caught out again, I decided summer clothes needed to come. 

The plan had been that one case was meant for the summer clothes and the other for the winter clothes. There was a slight problem however: I don't have anywhere near enough summer clothes to fill up a suitcase! So, in with the winter clothes as well and the second case would be used for yarn. Priorities and such(!) you know. Boxes were also filled and taken down to the garage. I only have a month left before leaving (three weeks until my stuff gets picked up in fact), so I need to get a move on. 

At the end of the afternoon my sister decided she wanted to go home again, since she would be back at work today. I think it had something to do with the dishes she didn't want to do again... I stayed here, knitted some more while Miss O slept some more. Today I have another day off, but tomorrow it's back to work: the Glasgow run again, both tomorrow and Friday. I did the dishes, will soon sort out the boxes that have been filled and need to go down and will tackle some other stuff as well. 

So, that's us. A lovely Christmas break that was very much needed. 

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. Take care and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari om
    Sounds very nearly pawfect, actually! Well done on the organising and all the best for these final few bus trips!!! YAMxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you were very busy but at least it was a good busy! Happy New Year!

    Stay Calm & Bark On!

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for days off! My ghostwriter's schedule goes back to three days a week for all of January. We don't know what to do with all that time, but it seems Miss Oswin has the right idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will probably work three days a week as well. But only for a few weeks.

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year! We are glad you got som much needed time off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Real quiet and relaxing ! We celebrated this time real nice, especially Christmas which usually was always family discussions ! So you are still decided to go back to the Netherlands ? I think you have some gipsy blood running through your veins !

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you and your sister had a great time during your holiday break. Good luck with all the packing and moving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad your were able to go to church. Happy to hear that you enjoyed the movie. Your dinner sounds yummy. Glad you got some things cleared out. I like Mary and Joseph. That countdown on the radio sounds awesome. Your time to leave will be here in no time. Glad you had a nice Christmas break! Happy New Year....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life is settling down some here, too. Still have one more gift exchange with the 3 grandsons. They spend winter break in Colorado every year. Their maternal grandparents have a condo on the ski slopes. Glad you are being able to get some rest before another big move and life change. ps. loved the card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice, even though we did something, the main part will be done during the week before the movers come.

      Delete
  10. Sounds a very relaxed holiday (apart from packing up again).

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!