Monday 21 January 2019

Back to work

No, I haven't gone back on the bus again. Not yet anyway. I have started work though. Not that you would notice it to be honest, as I have been emptying kitchen cabinets so far and it seems to be making more mess than it actually clears!

Also I have been making enquiries about several things. During the weekend I spoke to my father and he told me about a storage facility about five minutes from where they live. They then phoned friends of theirs who are using it, phoned the company itself and then phoned me back saying I had to phone directly. 

The upshot was that yes, they would have storage for me, in the right size as well. And it would be about 70 euros cheaper a month, including VAT than the service I was going to use through the moving company. Who by the way had hit me with a one off warehouse service charge of 500 euros, not including VAT. Meaning that for one month storage I would have to fork out nearly 1000 euros! 

Today I phoned the moving company asking them whether it would be a problem (blaming it all on my Dad of course, as you do) and she said it wouldn't be, just to send her an email with the new details. Which I did immediately. It will save me the better part of 800 euros (ie a lot of money). When I get back to my sister's tonight (where I am staying again together with puss), I will phone the storage company to finalise the details and then I will send the address to the moving company. One thing ticked off.

I also said goodbye at work. They were sorry to see me go for several reasons: I was the only female driver left and I did a good job, according to plenty of emails complimenting me. But they also realise that it's the better thing for me. I handed back all the equipment I had (one key) and left. It has been an experience that has taught me an awful lot about myself and my wishes for how I want to live my life. 

The last bit of the admin I needed to do was apply for a police record check. When I lived in Norway, I also needed one and I had to get one from the Netherlands. Now I live in Northern Ireland I don't need one from Norway, as they do the check. So I was wondering whether the Dutch would do a check in NI and Norway, saving me the bother. Most likely not, but you never know. I contacted the justice department, but haven't heard back yet. 

And lastly: I have sold my car. Not yet, but will do so on Saturday. I had been thinking about selling it back to the garage, which would mean very little money, but my sister said try 'webuyanycar.com', which offered a really nice amount. We got a quote last week and it ran out on Friday, but this week's quote was the same. It will go to my sister's account, to be transferred to my new Dutch account when I have that. It will be money used to furnish a place once I get a place to furnish. I will also need a cooker and a fridge, so the money already has a destination.

So, back to the packing. There is laundry going on right now, which will need to be packed away to move or packed away to take, depending on what it is. And as I said, I am working on the kitchen and trying to get all that packed away. Doing fine so far, but I know myself and you will always find stuff lurking in places you haven't looked yet because you thought it was empty. 

16 comments:

  1. Mara one thing for sure..you have earned a PhD in Movology
    Hugs and best of luck.
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for keeping us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem to have everything under control - well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... under control implies more than it is right now! But, I am getting there!

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    A couple of notches further along than when we last spoke... all to the good! I wonder if you would have seen the moon last/this morning? The skies here did what the skies always do - but did catch the initial stages and then watched online! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I didn't see the moon: I completely forgot about it! One day though, one day...

      Delete
  5. We don't know how you keep up with so much to do! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I do it either, but somehow it seems to get done. Gnomes probably, or fairies...

      Delete
  6. I do hope that once you find somewhere to live, it will be for a long time, so you don't have to go through all this packing again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you. Even five years would be a blessing!

      Delete
  7. I believe storage unit in my area will run 30 to 60 a month and that us dollar. Not sure what that is in eruo.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but it all depends on the storage unit's size as well.

      Delete
  8. Saving euros is always a good thing. Good to see you taking a more relaxed approach with this move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am and it feels so much better this time around.

      Delete
  9. Honestly for the moment I don't want to change with you ! I loved Ireland as a tourist, I found the country beautiful and the people so friendly, but of course it's different if you live there ! Living in a country or being just their visiting is so different !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know you were selling your car!!
    Well you seem very organized and almost ready to go....

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!