Saturday 19 January 2019

Of glasses and last days

On Wednesday I had to order some prescriptions as I was running low and then went to the local shop to get some last few days supplies. I then drove home again to continue with the packing I have been doing. As I parked the car, I took my sunglasses off and wanted to put my normal glasses on. There was only one problem: they weren't there! I looked everywhere in that little car, including in the rubbish bag, but I couldn't find them anywhere. 

Fortunately I have a spare pair, which are exactly the same as the lost pair, apart from the fact that they don't sit nicely on my face. But, it's a pair of glasses nonetheless. On Thursday night however I got to thinking: if I can't find them in the car, which is small and relatively tidy, they must be elsewhere. Like the shop. What if I had taken my bag out of the car and the shoulder strap had caught the glasses and dragged them outside. As they were in a protective covering, I wouldn't have heard it.

So, last night after work, I made my way to the shop to ask if anybody had found a pair of glasses. She looked, but when I said blue covering, she immediately went elsewhere and handed me my glasses. In perfect condition. Someone had found them and handed them in! 

Norway, December 2017
Talking of work, yesterday was my last day of it. Just in time as well. So far the weather had always been good. Yes, I have had rain and plenty of it, but never more than that. No fog and no snow. Yesterday we got snow. Only a light dusting on my way up to Glasgow, a bit heavier on my way down to the port again. They are expecting colder weather, so that will mean the roads will get a bit worse. But not for me! 

That was the good thing about yesterday, the bad thing was a heavy migraine attack that got heavier as the day got on. The thing that helps me best when I can't take proper medication, is eating. And I have found that boiled sweets are the best. Everything else gets too much after only a short time. Well, I found my too many point with the boiled sweets as well. I didn't eat any dinner on the ferry home and I took a pill the minute I got home. Way too late, so hardly any impact. I took another one two hours later and went to bed.



7 comments:

  1. Boiled Sweets. I've come across the term but never followed it up. But now I know that it's hard candy. I actually though it might me the opposite -- soft candy.

    Whatever it takes, I hope you get over the headache soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Ugh... now you can sleep as much as you need to. So glad you got your glasses back - phew! Yes, it is definitely colder than we've had so far this winter. Blankets and soup time... &*> YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good you got your glasses back. Was the migraine stress-induced? Poor you - hope you don't have any more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's good news on the glasses. That is great that you will not have to drive in that weather. Be safe traveling in you car when you leave. What kind of weather will you hit on your trip home? So sorry about the migraine. What do you mean by boiled sweets?

    ReplyDelete
  5. These migraine attacks are awful ! hope for you that it went away ! It's much colder here too and they expect snow, at least in the Ardennes. Are you happy now to leave Ireland ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're having a tough time. Hope your headaches go away. Migraines are the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darn it. Hope you are better now.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!