Wednesday 7 December 2016

Day 7: Christmas shopping day 1 and 2

After more than four years, it was such a delight to be back in London. Even though I did miss Brom and my sister. Next year we will have to plan it a bit further in advance so we can all go together!

My room was a beautiful room with soft beds (board) and soft pillows (bricks) and a great view (see top photo). The dinner I had was pure gourmet. Of the cheapest microwave version! I buy better at home. Mind you, the price was accordingly low and it was warm.

On Saturday I made my way into London. Where it was busy! My first stop was Covent Garden, where I scored a belt (forgot to take one) and some gloves (forgot to take mine). And then it was off to the annual Christmas Pudding Race. Where I saw Oompa-Loompas, convicts, elves and even Her Royal Higness, the Queen herself!! And she graciously let me take a photo of her.

After having walked around for a while and taken a few photos of the beautiful decorations (mistletoe), I made my way to Oxford Street. There were some things I really wanted. Like a Christmas sweater. And paracetamol (forgot to bring those as well). And other knicky-knackies that I don't need, but do quite want. 

I had walked about half of Oxford Street when I decided to get on the Underground again and see what was happening in Hyde Park. Well, it was the Winter Wonderland! Complete with ice skating show, ferris wheel (no fun on my own) and German Christmas market. It was absolutely heaving though! The weather was quite cold, but bright and sunny and everyone and their aunt had made it into town.

The lights in Regent Street
I got back to Oxford Street and finally found a HMV (record/cd/dvd-store). Where I found some of the films and series I really love so guess what... By then however it was time to find myself some dinner, because that night I was going to see a show. And not just any show either: the Snowman. You may have seen the film, you may know the song (Walking on the air). I saw the musical. 

It was a really lovely musical. Only two songs with words, everything else was music only. The boy in front of me (Italian/French) was loving it! No need to understand another language when the music will do the trick every time. 

That night I made my way back to the hotel. Tired, weary, three large blisters on my feet and one on my credit card. But a beautiful day.

12 comments:

  1. Glad you had funs in London…the lights on Regents Street are wonderful this year although Oxford Street have recycled last years!
    Its crazy busy in London at the moment, makes Mum grumpy, well, she is a commuter, theys grumpy peeps!
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lucky girl ! I am jealous ! You made my mouth water, I have to decide if I have the courage to go there for a day. With the Eurostar I could go early mornings and coming back in the evening, the journey only lasts not even 2 h !

    ReplyDelete
  3. MOL love you description of your exclusive hotel room
    but glad you had a good trip
    Lovely photos and yes we love red trees we love red anything
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely tour! Wish we were there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, come along next time! The more the merrier they always say...

      Delete
  5. Hari om
    My you certainly used your time well!!! Love those !ights... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so beautiful. But out of the ten photos (or so), only one came out halfway decent.

      Delete
  6. So glad you had a good time. Great that you got to see the pudding race. Room with a view!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool event and you got a pic with the Queen!!!!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's not me, it's a lady collecting money for Cancer Research UK. But I was pleased to have a photo of the Queen nonetheless.

      Delete
  8. The Snowman...I've seen the book but didn't know it was a musical! Good choice. :) The lights on Regent Street are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed Covent Gardens when I was there! Oh my, Hyde Park looks lovely. How wonderful that you got to see a musical, sounds like a fun time.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!