Thursday 22 December 2016

Day 22: Nativity

Years ago, when I had just returned from England after two and a half years, I brought with me a lot of knitting yarn and several pattern books. In one of them was a nativity scene. So, I knitted Mary and Joseph. A shepherd and some sheep. Three kings bearing gifts. And of course baby Jesus. 

I moved, got two monsters and one of them had a particular fondness for anything home knitted. Socks. Scarfs. Baby Jesus! I couldn't put the nativity up, unless I wanted to go hunting for all its members every single day. So, it stayed boxed up for years. 

Then I moved again, this time to Norway and poor old Wuppie couldn't come. But I did get a new monster: Miss Oswin. But his love for knitwear is not matched by her love for it. In fact, she couldn't care less. As long as there are hair scrunchies...

I put my nativity up this year. It's nice to see them again. 

PS: if you recognise the sheep: they went on the trip to Northern Ireland with Brom. Very well traveled sheep!

14 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Oh that is so charming! How wonderful to be able to put it out again... funny thing, this year for the first time in about twenty, I found myself thinking I would like to have a nativity set. Something to think about for next year! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I could always knit you one...

      Delete
    2. ...oh my!!! I was only going to ask for the patterns - then thought perhaps to try crochet. I've got a eleven months to TRY... *cough* Yx

      Delete
  2. My cats snob all Christmas decoration ! but in the past we had a dog who ate Baby Jesus ! Isn't that a shame ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMD that is a Fabulous Nativity Scene. THANK you fur sharing it with us... We are glad that you are able to have it out again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you have skills!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a truly beautiful nativity and with such memories of the ones who came before Miss Oswin.
    Hugs madi your bfff and mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a beautiful nativity. I just made one for my sister who has 3 cats but she assures me that none of them are interested in it or can reach it where it is displayed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a delightful Nativity scene. One with a number of memories for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's beautiful!

    (My kitty cousins Maddie and Tibie are content to play with twist ties and bottle caps! When Maddie lived with us for a year, she had a whole collection of little fuzzy pom poms. But I ate most of them. The evidence turned up in the back yard. Oops.)

    We hope you all have a wonderful Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Oswin likes plastic thingies, hair scrunchies (I am forever buying new ones) and other things she should not really be playing with.

      Delete
  9. It is so lovely, you really did an excellent job on these. Glad you can have them out again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are just so multi-talented!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!