Saturday 10 December 2016

Day 10: The elusive Stan

MY great-grandfather
It mightn't really be a Christmassy subject, but as you know I am shoulder deep in genealogy, even though I haven't really done that much for several months now. However, I have lately been working on it again, albeit not my own family.

Anvilcloud in Canada also has family out there and he was wondering about when and where and how his forefathers made their way over to Canada. And of course where they came from to start with. So, since I am a paid member of several of those genealogy sites, I thought I might lend him a hand. 

Most of the people are easy to find. Census records in England are great and you can find a lot more information about people than you can on any Dutch records I have found. So far, so good. And then I got to Stan. And as it says in the title: the elusive Stan at that. He is just not to be found. 

AC: look real close at the 4th line
Granted, I did find his birth and Anvilcloud had provided me with his death date as well. And after some severe digging I think I found when he left the country. Which would be in about 1906. I think. And I even found a better link telling me when his future wife made her trip, which was great (she travelled with his elder sister a few years later). But other than that: Nothing! 

How can somebody disappear so well? And don't worry, I tried everything. His first name, his middle name, his initial, his birthdate, his last name in several different spellings and every time I come up empty. I did find someone with his last name working at a place where Stan supposedly worked as well, but the first name is different, although it could of course be a brother. 

I will crack Stan, I know I will. But by golly, it's frustrating!

11 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    ... well, of course, folk often did take (or were known by) other names when shifting countries; either by choice or mistake. Then there are those who simply WANT to disappear! Fascinating detective work though... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He didn't change his name on changing countries, that much I did find. It's just the inbetween period. I will keep at it though, because it is quite interesting.

      Delete
  2. I am glad you found out how she travelling with Stan's sister because that is the story in the family. Not sure how you found it, but good for you. I must look through my papers again. I think I found some after we first talked about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah no. I have a few docs from the other side of the family, the Quinlan side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my cousins is working on the genealogy of my father's side. I'm glad she's interested in doing it because it takes a lot of patience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom once tried a free subscription to Ancestry . com but OMCs there was so much info out there and she really isn't much of a researcher. She does have some old records from family Bibles though
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  6. I greatly admire your determination especially with someone else's family tree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Dad does that kind of ancestry stuff too! He finds old records and tracks down relatives from Finland, and Cornwall. It's tough because many years ago, the Finns used to change their names when they relocated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they do have difficult names! But it is difficult whether they change names or not. It's addictive though!

      Delete
  8. Interesting, at least you have found some things out about him. Hope the rest will come....

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!