Saturday 5 February 2011

The promise

Right after Christmas I promised you the recipe to the mustard soup my sister made for Christmas. And then I completely forgot about it. When I remembered again, I had lost the recipe, but today, finally, I will give you the recipe!

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons of butter
3 leeks, cut in rings (yes, even the green)
3-4 table spoons of course mustard
3 potatoes, cut in cubes
7,5 dl (just over 3 cups) of vegetable or chicken stock
2 dl (just under 1 cup) of cream
fresh ground black pepper
salt
*2 table spoons of spring onion
*2 table spoons of bits of fried strips of bacon

Preparation:
1. Heat the butter in a pan with a thick bottom and slowly fry the leeks for about 6 minutes.
2. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of mustard and the potato-cubes and fry for another 4 minutes.
3. Pour in the stock, bring it to the boil and let it cook for about 20 minutes.
4. Puree the soup in the blender, bring it to the boil anew and add the cream.
5. Use the pepper and salt to taste.
6. Right before serving add the remainder of the mustard, making sure you stir well, otherwise there will just be a big lump of mustard in your soup.
7. Serve with the spring onion and the strips of bacon on the side (so you can add to taste).

It's a very easy recipe, it is extremely tasty and it is suitable for vegetarians. I tend to add a lot more mustard than it states in the recipe (about double the amount) and it still tastes fantastic.

5 comments:

  1. I might like it, but Dick wouldn't. He likes ketchup. I think ketchup is an abomination, and I suspect he feels the same way about mustard. LOL
    See you soon.
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds delicious. Thanks for posting the recipe. (I forgot to thank you for my Christmas card)
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this will be a fun one to try
    hows your headaches going

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, I like mustard soup. Especially on a cold day. Thanks for the recipe. It will be on the menu this week I think :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm...that sounds good! And easy to make, too! Thank you for including the measurements for us over here in the US!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!