Thursday 4 November 2021

Real life

After several weeks of prolonging our holiday (thank you Brom), we are back to real life and its trials and tribulations. It sounds worse than it is though. The main problem being gammy knee (Brom hinted at it several times) and wrists. 

I actually got down on the ground for this photo.
I had to be helped up again, but the photo worked out.
To start with the knee. Right before our holiday I had seen a physiotherapist who had told me to dangle my leg. That proved to be harder than it sounds as you don't always want to climb on a table to dangle! A solution was found in a cushion put under my upper leg and my foot then hanging free. 

Gera and Brom in the Silent Valley
The other thing of course was not to walk, but to cycle. That is all fine and dandy, but firstly I was on holiday with my sister. She does not own a bike anymore and as we then went to stay somewhere else without any bikes either... Secondly, cycling is okay when it's flat, but when you are in Northern Ireland it is difficult finding flat. It's all hills and mountains, especially where we were staying! We walked.

The beauty you see when walking
Which in turn meant I overdid it of course, but sitting still and not doing anything was not an option either of us liked. We took it slow, we cut down on what we did and I even tried the water. One night it was nigh on impossible to sleep due to the pain, but I muddled through. 

Perhaps I should try swimming too.
I bet this fish doesn't have a gammy knee!
Once back home however, a strict no walking policy was introduced. It doesn't mean I don't walk. The supermarket is not going to look favourably on me if I were to cycle down the aisles! But, no walks as I used to do. Having also gained a few pounds (well, 5 kilograms really) since getting the house, I did need to re-evaluate.

Which meant that of last week, I have started cycling. The Netherlands may be a cycling country, but that doesn't mean we are all avid cyclists in our spare time. I always cycled with a purpose. To get to school, work, town, friends. Cycling for cycling was never the goal as I don't particularly like cycling. I see something nice and by the time I have stopped, turned around and found my camera: gone! I prefer walking. 

Getting over stiles was a hazardous business.
I managed in the end, cheered on by Brom.
But needs be and such, I did start. Don't get me wrong, I am not cycling for hours on end. These first two weeks I had to do a minimum of 3,5 km a day, every day (about 20 minutes). Going over one day does not mean cutting down on the next. So far I have done it. In the sun, in the pouring rain (need a new rain suit, the one I have now is absolutely useless), in the morning, in the dark. Minimum so far was 3,68, maximum 5,15. From next week on, I will have to do 4 km minimum each day. 

There is however a small spanner, getting bigger by the day: the wrists. I was diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and am now waiting for operations on both wrists as they are equally bad. They will not be done at the same time, as that will completely unhand me and I don't even know when the first operation will take place, but hopefully in the next few weeks (I have an appointment with the surgeon next week). 

For me it would be the right wrist that would have to be done first as it is hurting terribly already. Certain actions like typing, can only be done when my hands and wrists can be in one long line. Bending is excruciating. I wear the splints at night and it would be preferred to wear them during the day as well, but that would limit any movement so much, I wouldn't be able to drive. I wear strong braces now which take some of the brunt and I am learning to use my other hand a lot more. 

A bit sacriligious, but I always expect those graves to start swaying from side to side.
Mind you, I would run in that case! Regardless of what they physio told me!!
However, I am pleased to say that after so many years of headache trouble, I think the solution is definitely the hydration. I did mention it before and was quite certain already, but I am now about 99% certain. Of course it means that I am always on the look out for a potty, but rather that than headaches.

I love this photo of my sister. 
Oh, and watching my food intake and doing the cycling (so far), has helped me shed one kilogram already. Which is good for the uniform and other clothes and of course the knee! 

All photos taken during our recent trip to see my sister.

9 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    Ah yes, real life has a habit of impinging on fun life! I admire your discipline to adopt the cycling change-up and hope that wrist procedure happens for you sooner than later. But hey, that bit of good news at the end has to be embraced and cheered!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cycling is going alright, although today I didn't do any. I overtaxed myself yesterday with cycling and walking. Worth it, but still...

      Delete
  2. It's one darn thing after another, eh? At this point I find cycling harder on the knees than walking. I guess it depends what part is acting up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Gera sure do know how to have an excellent holiday.
    Now that I'm retired I often wonder how in the world I ever find time to work. LOL
    Dangle you leg I must try that. I had a friend who was told no more walking...but you can ride a bike.
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely collection of pictures. We hope you can get your wrist surgery soon and are glad to hear the cycling is going well. Maybe you could find one of those things that turns your bike into a stationary bike so you could ride indoors when the weather is bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few years ago I had carpal tunnel syndrome. I had the steroid injections in the wrist which was very painful. Sadly that didn't work. I had a very special holiday booked to the Galapagos and as I would be living on a boat for a couple of weeks I wore travel bands on my wrists as I get very sea sick. I wore them 24 hours a day. After a week I suddenly realised that the pain in my wrist had gone. Whether it was the travel bands that did the trick I have no idea but it worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I skip the injections and go straight to operations. I hope sooner rather than later. My right hand is very sore, although it is CTS or something else I don't know.

      Mind you, if I were to visit the Galapagos I would put up with the pain for a few weeks longer...

      Delete
  6. Good luck with your exercise regimen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always liked photos of mushrooms. I especially like the red ones like that. I used to collect cups and things that had mushrooms one them. Actually my newest mug has little red mushrooms all over it. Years ago I didn't eat mushrooms but I adore them now! So sorry about the knee. Yes biking with hills is not for me. I'm glad you are riding your bike. Hope it is helping. Sorry about your wrists. I'm happy to hear that hydration is helping with your headaches. I enjoyed all the photos you shared. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!