Monday 29 November 2021

Pity party

Miss O in dreamland
So, over the last few days I have been having a bit of a pity party here at number 7. Feeling a bit sorry for myself and such. It all started really with the combination of dishes and bra. I couldn't do one nor could I undo the other. It needed a solution which would be my Mum. 

Alas, my Mum was having a bit of a problem herself and so did my Dad: Covid-19 had come to number 49. Yes, they both tested positive and were not feeling very good with it. The sniffles, the coughing, the slight loss of voice, taste and smell. Not good. 

St Nicholas and Peter
Another solution presented itself, although less favoured: my friend. The reason I didn't favour that as much was the fact that she herself was recovering from a broken foot and even though she was getting to be more mobile, she was not up to scratch yet.

But, a date was set that she and her husband would come over to help. Until fate threw not one but several large spanners in the works. Because I had been in touch with both my parents prior to them testing positive, it was deemed a good idea I would get tested too. I could have the Corona virus myself. 

Asleep again
As I was calling my friend to cancel her coming over, she told me that they were all feeling below par and had decided to get tested themselves as her daughter had been in touch with someone who had been in touch...

On Saturday morning I made my way to the nearest test site, which fortunately wasn't too far as the only means of getting there was on foot. It was drizzling, it was cold and it was just not nice. Test taken I returned home to wallow in self pity. enjoy a quiet afternoon.

My friends all tested negative and by the early hours of Sunday I also had a negative result. It took some time to actually get logged in to see the result and the atmosphere was pretty grim here for a while, but I got there eventually. 

Meanwhile I had been trying to do the dishes myself and managed a couple of plates and a bit of cutlery before giving up due to pain. I have done a little bit each day and as of today I am nearly through the lot. I also somehow managed to undo the bra I wore and even managed to get a new one on. Very painful, but it is something.

It's 3 cm, the tape measure kept moving.
Last night I unwrapped my hand. The (male) surgeon had told me that he would make a 1,5 cm incision. Not sure what kind of tape measure he used, but look at the photo! That is no 1,5 cm!! It must have been quite black and blue under the bandages, as there are still some yellow remnants on my wrist and some blackish/blueish remnants in the palm of my hand.

Mu virtual outlook in Iceland right now
It is also still quite swollen and I don't have complete use of the hand yet. Some (sudden) movements are very painful and they prevent me from using it very much. It did feel nice to be able to wash my hands properly again though. Next week the five stitches will come out. 

Other than that I am doing fine. Still not reading much, but I am watching a lot of television and the stationary bike also gets a lot of action. I was up to 18 km yesterday. On my regular bike I only ever got to 9, so I am doing okay with that. I will have to if I want to finish my virtual tour of Iceland's Ring Road. A medal awaits at the end and I still have 75% to do. 

On the plus side of life: my parents are on the mend, my Dad sounding almost like his old self yesterday (he was very nearly voiceless), I was negative, the weather is nice, my sister is coming in less than two weeks and Christmas is just around the corner as well. 

9 comments:

  1. Goodness me Mara when it rains it pours. Yikes. I'm so glad mom and dad are on the mend and that you and your friends tested positive. Take care and may the healing go quicker.
    I'm very pleased you like the color of our door. It was a big change for us.
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zo zie maar weer, na regen komt zonneschijn! Letterlijk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    The positives at the end are what I take from this post!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would have frustrated most people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're glad to hear you are doing better and that your parents are on the mend, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you were negative. Hopefully each day your hand will get better and better. Glad you have the bike to ride. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your wrist incision looks like it's healing well. Sorry about your folks getting crummy old covid, but glad they're getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pleased your folks are doing better. And why on earth are you even wearing a bra if you are staying home. Just saying. Your surgery had slipped past me as I have continued to not have much energy and somewhat fuzzy headed at times. So very glad you are being able to function a bit. Hoping you will continue to feel better each day. Klem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, take care of yourself.
      I am doing what I can and stopping when I cannot. Which works okay. I will try to start knitting today.
      Klem to you

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!