Saturday 18 July 2020

Shattering

 
Goodness me. This work malarkey is definitely tough. Especially after 4,5 months of nothing. 

As you know I started on Monday and it was a fairly easy day. Then on Tuesday I was coupled with a temporary mentor who would teach me the ropes and the routes. Some routes were fairly easy, others were really difficult. Besides that I really felt my back at the end of the day, exclaiming to my parents that if that kept up, my career would be fairly short-lived.

On Wednesday though, it was much better. I did some other routes, totally flunked that one really difficult bit, but in general was okay. Thursday was another early start and yet more new routes. Not sure whether I have retained them all, but for a first time it was fine. 

Friday was the same routes as Tuesday. It went fine. Until I got to the difficult bit. I had checked online. I had read my notes. I wanted to turn left where I had to turn right and turn right where I had to turn left. Some more training needed there! 

By the time I had had my dinner on Friday however, I was feeling it. My head was starting to hurt from tiredness, my eyes started drooping and in the end I was in bed just after 7 pm. I felt like a little kid, but I really needed it. Fortunately I am off until Tuesday afternoon now (start sometime after 4 pm) and can recover from this first week. 

I will get used to it all, I know that. The early morning starts will become quite normal. Even with the extra time I need to cycle to work. Because yes, I cycled to and from work each day, which I felt really happy about. Next week I will drive though, as I finish after midnight and just want to go to bed then, not cycle for half an hour in the dark. Not even for exercise or fresh air.

On to week 2!

11 comments:

  1. Yes, it should get easier as long as your health holds up. It always took some getting used to going back to teaching after 2 months off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Driving for the night rides seems sensible for all sorts of reasons - but no wonder you are the bit more tired, adding cycling into the mix! Hoorah for first weeks and may all following weeks bring improved operations at all levels!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cycling felt good. Especially as my knee holds up fine with that. As I will drive into work next week though, I will have to get some sort of walking back into the routine as well. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  3. We're glad to hear you are doing well after your first week back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's all good news besides the backache but there is unfortunately nothing to do. Your photos are real very pretty a hat suits you very well !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wondering if a auto heating pad seat is allowed in the bus? The seat heater surely helps me on long drives. Good for you even riding that bike just one day a week. Even though it is The Netherlands after midnight and alone might be a bit risky. Best wishes fro a great next week! hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can have our seats heated on the bus. But they are usually only the seat itself and not so much the back (where the problems lie). Besides, driving with the seat warm during summer is not fun at all. You basically just skid of the seat...

      Delete
    2. Well, skidding of the seat would not work too well!

      Delete
  6. Hope you get some good rest in over the next few days. It certainly will take a while to get back into routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Routine is one thing, but this is a changing routine. An early week, then a late one, then an early one again. I just hope I can keep up, because it has gotten more and more difficult with time.

      Delete
  7. You did it! It will take time learning the routes but you now it will happen. I can only imagine how tired you have been. Keep up the good work. I love the photos of you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!