Friday 3 July 2020

Meet Janny

My paternal grandfather in the caravan
Once upon a time my maternal grandparents and my paternal grandparents went away together for a few days. They stayed in a caravan owned by an aunt and uncle of mine and within a very short time they were all thoroughly fed up with it. Caravaning was not for them!

However, as a thank you, my maternal grandmother had given my aunt and uncle a mouse she had knitted. It lived in the caravan from then on. And when the caravan was sold and made way for a new one, the mouse just moved house.

Then came the time when my aunt and uncle did no longer like trekking halfway across a campsite to find the nearest toilet, especially in the middle of the night. Their age is starting to limit things. The decision was made to sell the caravan and not get a new one. 

My aunt looked at the mouse and thought: what to do with it though? She had a light bulb moment and decided to give it to me as she knows I knit them now. A couple of weeks ago she arrived with the uncle and mouse in tow and gave me the latter. 

The mouse never had a name and I felt it had to be rectified immediately. So, I named her after my grandmother: Janny. 

From now on, Janny will come with me on walks and cycle rides. Keeping me motivated and chatting my ear of about all she has seen while living in the caravan. 

11 comments:

  1. Handsome granddaddy
    and I agree everything needs a name. We name our cars too.
    We recently had to replace my husbands 14 yo car. The new one is the same shade of gray as Madi...we named it Madi2 aka M2
    Janny and you will have many grand adventures.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to meet you Janny. We bet you have lots of fun stories to tell Mara about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari Om
    ooooohhhhhh Janny - welcome to Blogville (via Mara)!!! You are one of the original meeses and must surely have seen very very much in all your caravanning years. Mara will love you and cherish you and take you on adventures... possibly along with Brom. How wonderfurs!!! Hugs and squeaks, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brom (and Mouse) are my travel companions, Janny will be my workout companion. When the knee decides to cooperate again that is...

      Delete
    2. Hari OM
      Ah, I get it - a mouse for all occasions &*> Yxx

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love Janny! I'm sure she will enjoy her new life. I don't suppose you have any idea what pattern she was knitted from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have sort of an idea. If you click on the photo on the top right (underneath Mice for Mama), you can see some of the examples I have made. My grandmother had made so many by the end (around 2,500) that she knew the whole thing by heart. I had to go looking for a pattern.

      Delete
    2. Oh my, that is a lot of mice! I love all your mice - what a wonderful thing to do.

      Delete
  5. Welcome Janny! What a sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, now that is just the perfect place for that special mouse to live. BTW, my family calls me Janny as much as anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They called her Jans (pronounced with a Y) as well, but I like Janny better.

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!