Friday 3 January 2020

Thankful

Perhaps you remember when I wrote about the gratitude jar last year. If not, let me refresh your memory: click. Because I already started late, and was in the middle of yet another international move, I didn't think I would keep it going. But lo and behold...

I did! Every Sunday without fail I would write something I was thankful for. Not always the most inspired of things, but I wrote nonetheless. Occasionally I would write during the week as well. When something really momentous had happened. 

With my mum at the orchid farm
Yesterday I transcribed the lot and there was definitely a pattern. I thanked my parents a lot (in fact, three weeks in a row at one point) for letting me live here. I thanked work a lot. Getting a job, continuing the job, returning to work. There were also plenty of health related posts. From the good (no headache for a week, good news at the gynaecologist) to the bad (gall bladder and headaches), but still thanking medication, doctors and nurses.

I thanked the fun things: Duncan Laurence outright for winning Eurovision for the Netherlands, seeing Cats, seeing We Will Rock You with my mum, going to the zoo with my sister, seeing Rome with my sister, visiting my sister, going to the orchid place with my mum. I never mentioned the sand sculpture thing I visited with my parents, but I am thankful in retrospect!

Here are a couple I felt stood out!

10.02.2019: I am thankful for aunties who don't need to hear the whole story, but just comfort you when you need it.

The good health care was definitely something I was thankful for!
28.03.2019: I am thankful for people who recognise me and believe in me, resulting (finally) in a job starting this Sunday.

09.04.2019: I am thankful for my pay check! Money

16.06.2019: I am thankful for being home alone for nearly three weeks. No tennis, darts, cycling, football or whatever! Bliss

11.08.2019: I am thankful for my Kindle coming back to life, after it was nearly drowned.

10.11.2019: I am thankful for the continuing job; friends who got married and I was invited to celebrate; no headaches to speak of; plenty of time to make stuff in. Life is better than I sometimes feel it is.

Brom in Rome
Writing all those things down at the time is one thing, going over the list again yesterday has made me realise that despite the things that are still not working properly in my life, there are so many more things that do. I might not have the job I want (yet), or a place of my own (yet), I might still have headaches and migraines (grrr), but all in all, I have a good life. 

I will continue this year with the gratitude jar and hope there will be plenty more things to be very thankful for!

9 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Mara, I think this is a wonderful way to track the positives and to do exactly as you have done here - to recognise the good will inevitably outweigh the bad! Brava, gal, for keeping it going. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful way, although at times I felt I had to grasp for things. Hopefully this year less grasping!

      Delete
  2. Sue has commissioned all 5 of us to do a gratitude a week and read them, or some of them, next Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mara what a lovely post and yay you writing a journal of sorts.
    Here's to a very healthy and happy 2020
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it's the little things in life that we are the most grateful for. Hope 2020 is a good year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely idea and a great way to look back and be thankful for all that has been good for you in the past year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea, Mara. All my folks loved the items from the handiwork of you and your mum's hands. namaste, janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear it. I am busy making more stuff, but different things again, as I bought different yarns again!

      Delete
  7. What a great idea to look back over the year and so how much you have to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!