Wednesday 8 January 2020

Good thing

Well, after two whole weeks off (paid no less) and an extra day to recover from all that off-ness, I was back at work yesterday. I was on time, the journeys went well and all was good. But all that work (I finished one book and started another), did require a recovery day apparently. 

Which means that today I have a day off. Basically we are back to 2-3 days a week, the way it looks now. Not the best, but it will have to do, at least until the end of March, when the tourist season starts again. 

These buttons were bought a few years ago and are still waiting to be used
Mind you, today is filled with those tiny things I need to do: buy buttons. I bought a lovely Christmas cardigan while at my sister's, but the buttons are a. too big and b. not red, but a dull grey/black. Which means new buttons. I also want some buttons for a hat/mittens/scarf combo I just knitted. I was actually pleasantly surprised to see how they came out. Show and tell will be done once finished. They will be for Mice for Mama. 

Talking about Mice for Mama, last year's total came to 77,45 euros, which I doubled to 154.90 euros and sent to MIND, a Dutch charity for mental health. I hope they can do some good with that money. 

This year's charity is one that deals with sports for the mentally and physically disabled. Very often those people are (not able to be) accepted by regular sports clubs, making it harder for them to build friendships in their own community. The charity's main aim is to make provisions for those children/adults to actually go to the regular clubs. A ramp might be enough to get people through the door, so to say.

A bottle cosey in the making
In turn this means that I will be making and selling mice this year as well. I have also branched out a bit into other things and occasionally my Mum Janneke will put some items forward to be sold as well. 

This all means a busy day today. It's a good thing they gave me the day off then...

10 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    It is! your knitting is excellent, Mara and I wish you another productive and (charity) lucrative year!!! Those buttons are very cheerful - I know you will find them there place. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what I want to do with those buttons, but the jacket they should go on is in storage. I hope! I might have gotten rid of it altogether in my last move...

      Delete
    2. ...oh, I know that feeling. I still occasionally look for something that never actually got here from OZ!

      Delete
  2. I have a whole big box full of buttons which my mother brought me once. I don't know what to do with it, there are real nice once. I like the buttons on your photo !
    For the moment I am quite tired, the weather is so humid, my Mr. G. has health troubles, everything is bad ! Hope it will change soon ! I really need holidays, only sunshine, sleep, swim and eat nothing else ! Couldn't go this year. I realize the difference

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always good to have some crafts to pass the times when you're not working. My ghostwriter has been off work for five weeks now since her knee surgery, and she's bored stiff!!!! Maybe after the snow stops, she can go out to a craft store and get some supplies. Good luck with your projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your ghostwriter didn't stock up in advance? I have so much, I could be in bed for a year and probably still have enough. Plus there is always internet buying of course...

      Delete
  4. Those buttons are so pretty. We hope you find the right thing to show them off on. Maybe a nice cardigan?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you will be so busy starting in the tourist season. Glad you have the time off now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be sort of the same roster as last year, as it will be the same route. Unless I can get the job I want, in which case: better hours, better pay.

      Delete
  6. Hope you enjoyed your day off. Good luck finding the buttons and way to go on your Mice For Mama donation!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!