Friday 17 January 2020

Job

As you know I am temping at the moment. Not the best of situations for several reasons. One is that I have no set income each month. It all depends on the amount of hours I make and sometimes that is around 20 (this week, with four days at work), other times it hovers around 30 or more. In fact, since I started working last April, I have had 6 weeks of 40 hours or more, 3 weeks of 37+ and most of the rest has been between 20 and 32. 

The second reason it is not good, is the fact that without a set or steady income each month, it is nearly impossible for me to find a place to live. Rent and utilities and food and everything will come to more than I earn at the moment. 

The third reason is that there is no guarantee. If there is little work, the people who have a contract get first dibs and I get the dregs. I understand, but that doesn't mean I like. So, for all those reasons I have already tried to find other jobs. 

Last year I did a lot of the tourist line 270. I met with some people who knew me from days gone by and that made it easier for me to slot back in. But unfortunately at the end of the season, there was no work for me and the chances of me getting work there were slim. 

Imagine my surprise today, when I got a phone call from the temping agency, wondering whether I would like to work for that company (as a temp again, but with a view to eventually get a contract). Ah. Well. Yes. No. Perhaps. 

Because as luck would have it, there is another company that I approached myself that is hiring this year after winning a large tender. Not only that: it is actually right here in my home town. Plus they are hiring directly, instead of using temps. 

I am still in the early stages of the application, but I have good hopes of getting accepted. Fingers crossed. 

But it is nice that people are thinking of me! It made my day even better (the other things that made my day were not having a headache today, almost finishing a cabled hat and taking my mum home without her being bandaged up*).

13 comments:

  1. Clapping wildly for you Mara...fingers, legs and eyes crossed.
    Keep us posted.!!
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have our paws crossed that you get that full time job soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with finding work! We're sure something will come along that will be worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    Hah, it never rains but pours, right? The thing is, the familiar can be a 'siren'... the newer one sounds like it would be the more improving position. All best for whichever, though. As both sound better than the current! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but the familiar over there would soon become the familiar over here as the company I want to work for will take over the work of the other company in a few years time. And they definitely sound better than what I have now.

      Delete
  5. Seems promising. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you a "sac de merde" to get a good steady job with nice working hours and a decent income ! Maybe 2020 (here they say vin vin ) referring to the wine of course !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fi gers crossed that you get a permanent job soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I guess we get another story about your mum not being bandaged up? :-)

    Hope you hear from the company you want to work for!

    Hugs, Pepperfly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moet je wel even op wachten. Beide delen!

      Delete
  9. Can't wait to hear that you got the job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Received your sweet card this week. Keeping fingers and toes crossed for a great job.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!