Wednesday 7 June 2017

¡Hola!

As you know I do speak one or two languages. Well, three really. Ehm, four. Hold on, five. And I understand a sixth and I can mumble a bit in a seventh. I am getting confused now, so I will have to go back and count properly. 

Dutch and English (that's two). Norwegian and German (four), French (five). I understand Frysian (my Dad's language and yes, it's a real one). And I get along fine with a few words of Italian. Like ordering food and asking the way. Basic though, very basic. So seven-ish. 

Anyhoo, yesterday a cruise ship arrived. Filled with about 2,500 passengers. Who spoke a language not on my list. Spanish! Well, I know hola, buenos dias and adios. And I think I would be able to order a beer in Spanish, but didn't think it would be appropriate since I was driving. 

My go-to language when dealing with Spanish speakers is Italian. Close enough to actually get a look of recognition from most. As long as I pick the right words of course. 

The passengers came on board and asked how much it would cost. Their English wasn't that great, my Spanish non-existent, but saying it in Italian worked fine. By the time they took the bus back (same group, plus a whole bunch more), I was able to mention that they had to use their seat belts in Italian. Something along the (very badly pronounced and not even proper Italian I guess) lines of 'sinture di sicurezza'. Everyone understood though and there were clicks everywhere. 

When we got back to town, I could feel the tension in the bus. Where do we get off, where exactly are we? So, I said in a nice friendly holler (I am a great hollerer): 'prossima stop, sentro o barca' (meaning next stop: center and boat). Whether it was good or bad Italian/Spanish I don't know, but everybody thought it was brilliant and I got a round of applause and most of them got off. 

Adios!

13 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Fabulous - my go to is sign language, the miming dialect! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't quite work when people are behind you and I have to have at least one hand at the wheel.

      I've found animal noises work quite good too!

      Delete
  2. My Mum speaks English and Dog...although sometimes she's a bit slow on understand and acting on the 'feed me now' bark!
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of languages to keep straight in your head. Do you ever dream in different languages?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing that you speak so many languages. Ghostwriter knows some German. She took 2 years of Spanish in high school, but hardly remembers any of it. She says if you don't use it, you lose it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do, but once you get into it again, you will find that it comes back as well.

      Delete
  5. Wow, your certainly are fluent with several languages. I only know one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is admirable that you speak so many languages! Me and Stanley only speak Bark.

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but when you meet a German Shepherd, you understand each other don't you? Or a Mexican Chihuahua? Don't underestimate the power of Bark!

      Delete
  7. That is about 6ish more than I speak. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet, we both get by wonderfully in this world!

      Delete
  8. Crikey Mara ..... how smart are you?? My Mum only speaks one language, English, and she doesn't even do that very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my main talent. As well as chatting a lot, I am really good at that as well.

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!