Tuesday 6 June 2017

Blooms

Well, the rhododendron is definitely in bloom. I remember the first time I ever saw them bloom. One of my first trips to Ireland and we were going around the Ring of Kerry. The mountain side was just awash with purple from the blooming rhododendrons. I loved it. Of course where I lived at that time, growing them was near impossible because of the soil, so having one in the garden right now is just a treat. 

But it is not the only plant blooming in the garden right now. There are also peonies that are just beautiful. I remember my parents having red ones and they were the only roses (in Dutch they are called peony roses) that I actually liked. The fullness, the colour. Just beautiful! 

Close-up of the rhododendron
There was one other garden flower that I always loved and once a year* I would tell my parents that I wanted to be given those flowers: the spit flower. So called by me because they always seemed to have spit on them. It took a bit of searching, but I think they are called Sweet Williams (duizendschoon). Unfortunately none are in the garden here. 

Peony in bloom
*In the Netherlands, most towns and villages organise an annual 4-evening walk. Every evening you can walk either 5, 10 or 15 km and schools, sport clubs, other clubs and individuals join one distance. At the end of the 4 days (or 4 in 5 days), there is a big parade with music and everybody gets flowers. I wanted the spit flowers. Or Sweet Williams. 

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers ! My son participates in a Marathon I don't know if this is part of the festivities !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Sweet Williams are annuals and require yearly planting from seed... and yes they are very pretty. Often found together with one of MY favourite cottage garden flowers, the 'snap dragon' (antirrhinum)... we used to take the little blooms and press them to make their 'mouths' work. As an adult, I adore the rhoddys and azaleas and peonies... AND roses &*> YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how my parents got them every year then, because they are not the biggest gardeners. Mind you, I am not 100% sure about them being Sweet Williams, so it could well be another flower altogether.

      As for roses, I never really liked them. I mean they are pretty enough, but they never did it for me. Carnations though, especially the deep red ones. Love those!

      Delete
    2. Hari OM
      Those who are 'hands-off' gardeners would find that such flowers reappear simply by process of self-seeding; another such which can take over is Columbine...these are SWs... are they familiar? Carnations are indeed lovely, as their little cousins, Pinks. ... oh I do miss having a garden... sigh...Yxx

      Delete
    3. Yep, those are the ones I love. Especially the darker ones.

      Delete
  3. Your gardens are certainly ahead of ours, particularly where I live now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVELY flowers and such pretty colors!
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. What BEAUTIFUL flowers!!!!
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful blooms! The walk idea sounds great!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! The peonies in our yard will probably open by next week. We've tried to grow rhododendrons, but the soil is too alkaline here. You're lucky to have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am. And the best thing? I don't have to do anything for them...

      Delete
  8. The rhododendron and peonies are beautiful. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We saw tree size rhododendrons in Pennsylvania. They were not in bloom, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They get quite big here as well. In Ireland they must have been tree-size as well, which I love.

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!