Monday 2 December 2013

The green grass

The road markers went up in late September
They help mark the road in heavy snow
When I first told people I wanted to move to Canada, one of the things that was often said to me: but it's cold in Canada! Then when I moved my focus from Canada to Norway, one of the things that was often said to me was: but it's cold in Norway. 

Moving to a country where the temperatures are usually below the temperatures of your home country is something else. At least that's what it sounds like. Since there are a lot of Dutch people living in Norway, even on the same road as me (I still haven't met them). And they all knew what they were getting into. Cold and dark! 

It may be cold, but also very pretty
Yet on the other hand, during the summer, the sky where I live doesn't go black in the night and stars are harder to see. Because a dark navy is all the night is capable of during the summer. Further North the sun doesn't even set at all, giving people a month or two/three of perpetual daylight. Of course, right now it's perpetual night!


Oh yes, that's mine! Honestly!!
But it isn't just the dark and the cold where I live. Since I live close to the sea, rain is a usual occurence. Very usual in fact. Rain coats and suits are a must if you live here. Because life doesn't stop because it rains. During the winter that rain will often turn to snow, but not so much that we are covered in feet of snow from December to March. An hour inland though and it's another matter altogether: a lot more snow than we have here. 

I moved to Norway because of the cold. Because I do better in cold than in hot. And to be honest, I like it here. Yes, of course I would love to go and see sunshine on occasion. Warm myself beside the pool with a cool glass of beer. For a holiday. Because actually: the grass in my garden is green enough!

Second Blooming
This was a prompted post by Spin Cycle. Thank you Ginny Marie at Lemon Drop Pie and Gretchen at Second Blooming.

6 comments:

  1. I was deriving to the airport at 5:30 this morning. It was dark and wet, and I was sure on edge. I felt like I was travelling at warp speed even though I was driving under the speed limit, which is not necessarily my usual custom -- not that I'm a speed demon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have to move to Norway, it rains enough in Belgium ! It actually rained every single day during whole November ! It's a miracle that I don't have flippers instead of feet !
    Now it's getting dark at 5 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is wonderful to be happy where you are! It sure is beautiful.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari Om
    That sounds like contentment to me - the very best form of happiness!

    Now back in Blighty, I am having to get my body clock caught up on the late light (after 8am) and early dark (by 3:30ish). It's going to take a while... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have thought that you get a lot of snow! It's interesting what a big role the sea plays in the weather! Since we inspired you, you should link this post up! It's a great Spin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here in Los Angeles it rains so seldom that nobody knows how to behave in the rain. Everything gets cancelled, people stay home, nobody knows how to drive in the rain - it's crazy! And while I'm not great with cold, it's much better than heat. I'd MUCH rather live in Norway than in a desert somewhere.

    Don't forget to add your post to the Linky on either my page or on Lemon Drop Pie!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!