Tuesday 30 November 2010

T is for...

TARDIS

When I was young, I didn't like Doctor Who. I was always a bit scared by the opening tunes to the show and didn't really get it. Besides, I preferred playing outside with my friends than sitting inside. But when I caught an episode of the show a few years ago, I was hooked.

Of course it looks a lot flashier now than it ever did in the past. Aliens look alien now and not like a man in a bad suit and bad make-up. It also helps that the ninth, tenth and eleventh doctor are quite easy on the eye as well. Anyway, the Doctor lives in a TARDIS, which is an acronym and stands for Time and Relative Dimensions in Space.

It looks like an ordinary blue police box (as used by British police in the 1960's), because its shape shifting qualities blew a fuse and got stuck. When you enter it though, it looks nothing like an ordinary blue police box. Because it is massive! From what I can gather there are at least two bedrooms (one for the doctor, one for his companion), a dressing area, the hub where the flying takes place and I think there's even a swimming pool!

Not only is it used on the show Doctor Who, but the term Tardis pops up in other shows as well, most notably the ones that concern themselves with buying houses. (It's bigger on the inside!)

For more T-words from around the world, please check out ABC Wednesday and join in the fun!

Photo taken in March 2010 in London

17 comments:

  1. This is a fun post. I haven't watched Doctor Who in a long, long while. Maybe I ought to see when and if it's shown here in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An ideal choice for the letter 'T'. Doctor who is one of my favourite programmes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I didn't post my Tardis photo after all. You did this so much more justice they I would of done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely forgot the TARDIS when I was searching for T words! David Tennant is my fave Doctor, my friend and I saw him sneaking into the theatre when he was playing Hamlet, he had his baseball cap pulled really far down and my friend only noticed him as she's so small and could look up under it! We didn't give him away though :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that was so interesting... I learned a lot from your post today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not being familiar with Dr. Who, I wondered what TARDIS was - a town? lol Good idea for today! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great T post - I'll need to re-watch the great Doctor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was never into Dr Who. I imagine that some of my relatives were, however.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a fantasy fan but the idea of a Tardis has always fascinated me! Maybe I should have gone into Real Estate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a wonderful post. Great imagination in picking a novel T.

    Linda
    ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  11. Didn't Doctor Who reach some milestone recently? Or maybe EVERY year is a milestone.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember watching Dr. Who in Australia in 1982, and my brother, who was 14 at the time, thought the show was great. The only thing I remember is a very long scarf.
    HOWever, I think our house must be a Tardis, because people are always telling us it looks so much bigger on the inside than from the outside.
    Learn something new every day!
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  13. When my dad would watch Dr. Who when I was little, I was like you...it was boring! But now...I love it! (We're a bit behind in the states, though. I haven't seen the latest season yet. )

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm hopelessly out of date! I've heard of Dr. Who but know nothing about him. I'm not a fan of science fiction which makes me definitely out of the picture with today's crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Small place for a large world :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't like Doctor Who either and my middle daughter was terrified of the Daleks. My youngest grandsons love it . . . obviously tougher than me (and Susannah)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting acronym! Now, I wonder if I can remember it to use it casually in a conversation? Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!