Wednesday 1 September 2021

The garden, part 2

No hiding in the grass anymore
There were several days last week where I got outside to do something in the garden. One day my Dad came over so we could tackle the lawn. Well, the grassy bit in the front garden. Which was very high. But, my Dad had managed to get the loan of a lawn mower, so we managed to get it done in the end. Hard work as we kept having to tilt the machine to remove the long and wet blades of grass that were clumping up the mowing blades. I won't even mention the number of slugs we managed to kill either...

It still needs some tidying as well
Then last night my Dad came over with the lawn mower's owner who would help trim one hedge and remove another one altogether. I must admit, the result of the trimming looks awful, but it will grow back and then at least it will be more manageable for me. The area where a hedge was removed just looks a bit bare, as several smaller trees have been removed as well, mainly the Devil's Walking Stick, which is a nasty piece of work with thorny stem and branches. 

Not quite sure what is left
On the other hand, I now have a perfect spot for a plant I received the other day: a lovely Hydrangea. Still small right now, but it will grow and can deal with areas that don't get sunshine all day long. In other news, I also managed to kill off my first two house plants by over watering them. *Sigh*

9 comments:

  1. As I was watering last night, I was thinking that with outdoor plants, I don't have to worry much about overwatering because they soon dry out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The outside of your home is looking much neater with the grass mowed and the hedge trimmed. That's a beautiful hydrangea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    OOh hydrangea - one of my personal faves - it will definitely suit your garden. It is shaping up nicely my friend! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that it brings colour to my garden. Most of what I have right now is green and even though there is nothing wrong with green, I also like colour.

      Klem

      Delete
  4. Sometimes with gardening, you have to cut things down so they can grow back nice. I did some gardening work today too. Ugh! My aching bones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the way to keep shrubs at an appropriate size was to trim 1/3 of the plant back to about a foot above the roots. Do this over a series of three years. The trimming is done just before the season growth begins. Yard looking good! Klem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit more gung-ho this time round. They might come out completely eventually as well, depending on funds and such. But for now I have gotten used to it looking like it does and it will soon start up again.

      Klem

      Delete
  6. Dads are a girl's best friend!! Especially Dads with friends who own necessary equipment.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's looking good. We had a tree trimmed in the front of the house about 3 weeks ago. It looked so different but now it is full of new growth.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!