Monday 13 September 2021

The reads

I moved into my own place back in the summer and one of the things I had really been looking forward to, was finding my old favourites. As in books. First of all, bookcases had to be put up to actually house the books, but once they were up and the books were in, it was beautiful. There was a contented hum in the background of my bedroom.

So, what did I read over the past few months? The first book I read was actually not an old favourite, but a new book on my Kindle: The Phone Box at the Edge of the World by Laura Imai Messina. Yui loses her mother and daughter in the 2011 tsunami in Japan and we see her struggle from newly bereaved to finding peace. Several other characters with their own stories come in, which really add to her story. I give it 4,5 stars and would highly recommend it.

A book that I had read prior to that was by Fredrik Backman and it was called Anxious People. When I last wrote about the books I had read (click here), I had only just started it and I found it a struggle. I am pleased to say I did finish it and I did like it a lot. How things can change in a few chapters! A bridge, a bank robbery, an apartment viewing and two police officers. Linked together by the people who were there. As I did find it hard to get into at first, I give it 4 stars for that reason, but still recommend it highly.

A few years ago I found a kindle book in the basement bargains, written and self-published by Jodi Taylor, a British writer. Despite the poor editing (especially at the end of the book), I loved her way of writing and have bought and read everything she has done since. One of the series she writes is supernatural/thrillery and I had my hesitations at first. I recently bought the third in the series: Long Shadows
For me the continuing story about Elizabeth Cage is not so much thriller, more extremely unsettling, the first two books even more than the third. Elizabeth is going on a short holiday and does not want to 'see' things, but not even a day into her break, life has other ideas. More is revealed about her and where she comes from in the course of the book. I give it 4,5 stars and would recommend, but only as a third in the series (the others being White Silence and Dark Light).

The last book I will be discussing today is by Ruth Goodman, a lady who has gone 'back in time' by living like a Victorian for a year! She has written several books, including one about that experience, but the one I read was How To Be A Victorian (also tying in nicely with the books about St Mary's by Jodi Taylor). From sleeping to eating, from work to play, everything is explained at several levels. Very interesting, very entertaining (from the comfort of a heated home and with a full belly) and very enlightening. Also the book reads like the author talks, which is great as you can hear her in your head reading the passages out loud. If you are interested in history, this is a real good book to start with. Five stars from me.

10 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Oh I like Ruth's television programs, so I can quite imagine her books will be good too. Glad you got into the Backman book after all. You had so loved Ove (and I enjoyed that too) - so will add this onto the TBR wishlist! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other day there was a film on the BBC called Britt Marie was here. Another of his books (which I have read and liked). It was in Swedish with English subtitles. Give it a go on a dreary afternoon!

      Delete
  2. Those all sound like interesting books. Maybe I'll put some on my reading list too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book cases look really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already need more of them: they are nearly full!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the book reports. I did some reading this summer. Since I like science fiction, I read the "Luna" trilogy by Ian Mcdonald. Kind of a complicated story, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feels more like home now, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book case looks great. I'm glad you are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking like home. Looks like you have been doing some serious reading. klem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am very behind on the goal of 65 for this year, as I have only read about 15 so far. I blame it on moving house!

      Klem

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!