Wednesday 15 September 2021

Life on my own

An outing with my Mum back in 2019
When I first moved back to my parents over two and a half years ago, I knew it would only be short term. As in a couple of months. A month into living there, that had been modified to about 5 years as it was not looking good. Fortunately with a stroke of good luck, I managed to get a place of my own and I have been living here now for about a month and a half. 

The curtains are up
Apart from the mess that is still my guest room, most of the house is in order and getting more so by the day. I know where to find things, although I will still open the wrong cabinet in the kitchen to find a cup. I know where to put things, although it is speedily filling up, especially Harry's Room. 

One thing that will definitely take longer than anything else is the garden. Several reasons for that. One is that I may have overdone it a bit prior to the actual move. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome on both hands (right side the worst) and a likely case of RSI on my right lower arm (not diagnosed as yet). 

The weather has been okay-ish, but the other day I was digging in the pouring rain. Not a good mood enhancer I can tell you! Having good weather and time off at the same time is important. And lastly it's finances. Of course I don't need money to remove all the weeds (and there are plenty of those), but I would like to put something in its place from simple flower bulbs to more substantial plants. However, even though flower bulbs are now slowly being put in, the rest will have to wait. 

Other than that I am loving it here and I think I can safely say that Miss O does too. The house is big enough for us and the garden is a favourite with her as there are so many plants to sniff and little toads to follow (fortunately she does not catch them). The other day she also made clear to another neighbourhood cat that it was in fact her garden and to please get lost in all haste!

Sorting the Christmas decorations: from 11 to 6 crates
Not having to watch football, cycling, darts, snooker, tennis and any other sport my mother watches, is also good news. I still watch several other programs we used to watch together and I can record programs when I have to work or go to bed early. As I recently bought myself an iPod, I also have a year free on Apple TV, with delights such as 'Schmigadoon' and 'Come from Away'. Several others have been highlighted by me to watch.

American pancakes
Of course groceries still need to be gotten, dinner needs to be cooked, dishes need to be washed as do clothes. But I love living on my own again. 

12 comments:

  1. Glad that you are settled and happy and also that you have improvements you can look forward to in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting a place of your own! Things will only get better for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! And welcome to my blog.

      Delete
  3. Hari OM
    ..."Schmigadoon"??!!! Oh dear. Who am I to talk, watching vanlife offerings from one end of the day to other...

    Sounds like settling has properly begun. Hooray! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember not liking Brigadoon at all when I watched it several years ago, but this was just plain fun. So funny and poor Pete, poor poor Pete...

      Klem

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a major new chapter has just started in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about the carpel tunnel and RSI. Hopefully with a little rest you will feel better soon. Miss O sure looks like she is enjoying her new garden. Your new place is shaping up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're glad you're settling into your new place. It was nice to see Miss Oswin enjoying the yard. And, wow, those are some huge snails and slugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mara what a beautiful post. WOW you had to wait a bit to find the purrfect place for you and Miss O but my friend you find exactly where you were supposed to be. Congrats on the job of settling in before the winter comes
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. That all sounds so familiar to me and I can tell you I have still things to move around or I don't find, and now that Mr. G. moved out I want to make a guestroom so I am still busy with moving things around after one year and one month !! Except the garden there I am lucky I watch the three gardeners from my neighbors and ours beneath my terrace, and I purr ! Now work anymore. Rosie became a 100% inside cat and only goes on the terrace when I am there ! I haven't seen the outside of your house but what i can see it looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry about your injuries. Hope they get better. I'm happy to hear that you love it!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!